“The Hobbit” Gets Closer to Premeire Date

The Hobbit Gets Closer to Premeire Date

Monica Brewer

by Monica Brewer

As we’re getting closer to Oct., play practice is starting to heat up.  AHS students have been working on J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” for about 2 months, and this production’s wheels are rolling.

English and drama teacher Matthew Smith’s reason he chose “The Hobbit” was because he wanted “a very challenging play that would have opportunity for special effects.”  This play also introduces the idea of stage combat.  Junior Tiffany Williams said that she’s most excited about the stage combat.

The production has seniors Hannah McLean and Ben Parker in the spotlight as Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf.  The friendship and stage experience that they have outside of the play makes “The Hobbit” more believable.  Watching them rehearse together and Parker’s personality makes rehearsals fun, according to cast members.

Junior Corgan Peterson is taking on the role as stage manager.  Peterson has experience as assistant stage manager in last year’s production of “Nevermind How It Happened, How Did It End?”

There’s a little script change for “The Hobbit.”  Close to the end of the play, the script takes the ending of the 1977 animated musical special version.

Smith is also introducing a group called Thespian Honor Society.  For every play and/or musical that a student gets involved in, whether it’s being on stage, playing in pit band, or working backstage, they get a set number of points.  Anytime a student gets a total of 10 points or more, they get an invite to the society and their name on a plaque.  They have to pay a $24 fee before they get their name put on that plaque.

The play will be shown at Atlantic High School on Friday, Nov. 6, Saturday, Nov. 7, and on Sunday, Nov. 8.  From the wise words of The Hobbit (2012 Version), “May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.”