Scary’s Seven Day Challenge

Scarys+Seven+Day+Challenge+

Matt Smith and Madison Helvie

by Matt Smith and Madison Helvie

On Thursday, Aug. 28, Atlantic High School students attended an assembly with the Scary Guy. The Scary Guy is a motivational speaker whose goal is to eliminate hate and violence in schools and towns.

While visiting, he challenged each student to the  “seven day challenge.” The challenge implies that each participant must go seven days and nights without calling someone another name but their own. If you slip up and call someone a mean name, whether it is your friend or not, you have to apologize to the person and restart the challenge. It doesn’t matter how far into it you are. After seven days you can go back to saying anything you want but should try to keep going clean for as long as possible.

Students were asked about their input on the assembly. Junior David Thomsen said he is doing the challenge and hasn’t restarted because he is perfect. However, David doesn’t think he will make the seven day challenge. Senior Nick Podhajsky said he is doing the challenge to become a better person and has only started over once so far. He doesn’t think he will complete it, but will be satisfied if he does. Sophomore Damon Miller said he will be doing the challenge because he wants to make the school a better place. Miller said he has started over once because he slipped, but doesn’t think he will complete the challenge since he is more than likely to say something sarcastic on accident.

Now it’s your turn; will you take on the challenge and complete it?