CCEOC Runs a Greenhouse Business

By Connor Burg

The CCEOC students are in business. Mondays and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. students work in the greenhouse behind the high school.  Under the direction of teacher, Justin Williams, the students are growing vegetables and flowers from seeds.  When the plants reach maturity, they will be sold to Fareway.

Williams and the CCEOC students started planning for this project at the beginning of the school year. Williams plans to continue this project for years to come.

The CCEOC project is assisted by Ag teacher, Eric Miller’s horticulture class, which waters the plants daily.  There have been a couple of setbacks. Many plants have died from insects, and others were not fed or watered properly.

Student Connor Burg,  Tim Laughlin have worked in the greenhouse for two semesters. The money earned from the project will be reinvested into the greenhouse next year.
Student Connor Burg, Tim Laughlin have worked in the greenhouse for two semesters. The money earned from the project will be reinvested into the greenhouse next year.

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.26.31 AM Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 9.25.27 AM

In addition to watering, on Friday the CCEOC students trim and replant flowers, keep the greenhouse clean and check mineral levels of the soil. Senior Aurelio Sempek said, “I like being able to watch the plants grow, but I hate planting something and then watching it die.”

A greenhouse is a building in which plants are grown. These structures range in size from small sheds to industrial-sized buildings. There is around 150 plants growing, many of them have been transplanted. When asked what have they learned from this project, junior Elijah Dulberg said, “This project has helped me learn patience, and it feels good to watch something you take your time watering and trimming, grow into something amazing.”