• April 19Girls' soccer is home on Monday against Collins-Maxwell. Good luck!

• April 19Good luck to the boys' soccer team in Creston on Monday! JV kicks off at 5 p.m., with varsity to follow.

• April 19Both track teams will participate in the Co-Ed Ram Invite on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The Trojan tennis teams take on Harlan on Monday. Boys are at home, and girls are on the road. Good luck!

• April 19Boys' golf will be participating in the Monarch Invitational on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The girls' golf team will be participating in an invitational on Monday. Good luck!

Positive Behavior Rewarded

Positive Behavior Rewarded

by Heather Harris

Good behavior is rewarded in teacher Bev Schelling’s Level 2-3 Special Education classes; students are following point systems to earn rewards for their positive behavior.

The purpose of this program is to reinforce the importance of following the behavior guidelines in the classroom. Each day the behavior of the students will be charted. The maximum number of points that can be earned in one class period is 15.

According to Schelling, “We used to be on a different behavior system but didn’t use it often, but because of challenging behaviors they are using a reward system. It’s one way to motivate the students and helping them put their best foot forward.”

Sophomore JD Watson says, “ I get points if I behave or pay attention. We get prizes on Fridays, and I have won a t-shirt, pop, and movie day.”

The rating week begins on a Friday and ends the following Thursday. Some of the rewards students can win include pulling a prize from a bucket, watching a movie, eating popcorn (for all students), and drinking beverages. To earn a reward the students must have 90% of their total points each week.

The teachers are looking forward to positively reinforcing students on their good behavior each week.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Positive Behavior Rewarded”

1. Mr. Hackman on September 23rd, 2010 11:34 am

Positive reinforcement over negative or punishments, do we think it will work with all students?

Great work Heather

2. Beverly Schelling on October 21st, 2010 10:54 am

This program has been working very well in our classroom. Positive reinforcement works for everybody! Who wouldn’t want to be recognized for doing well at what is expected of them?

3. Elizabeth Huggins on October 27th, 2010 5:32 pm

Kudos to you Mrs. Schelling! Too often we forget that understanding behavior guidelines can be the key to success in a wide variety of academic and real world situations. Hazaa for Heather.

Positive Behavior Rewarded