Getting to Know the Class of 2017: Alexis Freund

Senior spotlight featuring Alexis Freund.

Alexis Freund

Alexis Freund

Gabby Jordahl

Lexi Freund has been a part of the beef cattle industry for her entire life. As a child, she would spend many of her waking hours at her family’s local farm. Within the farm, they have a 2,200 cattle feedlot and 3,600 acres of land to farm. One of Freund’s most memorable moments from being at the farm was when she, “was trampled by a steer in the middle of a pen.”

In 2015, Freund was appointed the Cass County Beef Queen. She took this role to heart. Throughout her year long reign, she provided many educational speeches and activities for the community, some of which included providing hamburgers at lunch, participating in parades, coloring contests for children and performing speeches to crowds to better explain how cattle by-products can be used. “My favorite of these was working with the youth of our community,” Freund said.

During her high school career, Freund has been an active participant in FFA. For her freshman through junior year, she had minor roles in the chapter. Freund would go to as many events as possible, including livestock judging, selling fruit, greenhand fire up camp, national convention and being active in meetings. Freund’s senior year in FFA has become much more important to her. “I am extremely proud to be the first female FFA president in our chapter, and I plan to represent our chapter well,” said Freund.

Other things Freund has participated in throughout high school are cross country, basketball, student council and NHS. In cross country, Freund was a part of the varsity team her freshman year. In basketball and track, Freund was a varsity participant for all four years. Freund’s most memorable moment in high school is going to state track her freshman and junior years.

There have been many people that have influenced Freund’s life in agriculture. However, the main person to help her was her father. Freund said, “My father is my role model because he’s given me the most life advice, leads by example and helped to set me up for success.” Another person that has had an impact on Freund’s life is her agriculture teacher and FFA advisor, Eric Miller. Freund says with her being the FFA president and Miller being the advisor, they spend a lot of time together. Throughout that time, Freund said Miller has taught her many life skills.
Freund’s dynamic involvement in agriculture throughout her life has further influenced her to pursue a career in it. After high school, Freund plans to attend Iowa State University to double major in Ag Business and Ag