AHS Juniors and Seniors Only: Closed Prom

Principal McKay explains the thinking behind “closed prom.”

Staff

MADE IN THE SHADE – Zac Stork gets in the groove at the 2016 Junior-Senior Prom. Atlantic’s prom has been closed for at least 27 years. Principal McKay said the intent of a closed prom is “a final hurrah” for the senior class.

Alexis Brockman and Karsyn Rush

Prom at AHS is only open to junior and senior students. Limiting attendance to students only in these two grades and from only our school, earns prom the classification as “closed.” While prom has been closed for at least 27 years, each year students question it. Principal Heather McKay said, “It’s only open to juniors and seniors as a final hurrah to make some final memories before the seniors leave.”

McKay said she’s never really thought of opening it. She said, “It’s one of those things you never say never to, but I’m not looking to [changing it] anytime soon.” When asked about people complaining that it is not open she said, “I haven’t had many complaints at all. Only two have asked about bringing out of town dates.”

McKay said underclassmen get their formal dance with winter formal.  For this dance students are allowed to take out-of-town dates.  They are allowed this because they are not there to “celebrate the end of their senior year.”

Some kids don’t go to prom because their date is out of town or an underclassmen. McKay said, “If a kid doesn’t come to prom for that reason, it’s their loss and they’re missing out on a great time.” A closed prom will always be talked about but not with the faculty because “they’re not the ones to oversee it,” McKay explained.

Over the years McKay has helped students go to prom. She offers the help to those who may not be able to afford a dress or rent a tux so that they’re able to go and spend that time with their classmates. Even if the students don’t accept the help, they’re still able to come to after prom activities.