JV Wrestling Overview

JV wrestlers build the base for the future of AHS wrestling.

Sophomore Kenny Jimmerson is one of seven JV wrestlers this year.

Marcus Duranceau

With the wrestling season coming to an end, the JV team takes time to reflect on their season.“I think the JV team is doing well for the guys that we have,” wrestling coach Tucker Weber said. There are a total of seven JV wrestlers this year, which is half of a full varsity team. Weber stated that his favorite part of the season was, “winning a lot of tournaments because of hard work in the [wrestling] room.”

Sophomore Dawson Carey said that he felt his season went well as he won all but three of his matches this season. Carey also said one of his goals for next year was “to make state.” Sometimes Carey challenges for varsity spots so he can have the opportunity to wrestle in varsity tournaments and duals. A challenge is a series of matches where the wrestler who wins two out of three matches gets the varsity spot at this weight class. He said that he looks up to Austin Mills because, “he’s a good wrestler and knows how to help other wrestlers do better.” Carey’s favorite part of the season was beating a kid ranked 2nd in 3A wrestling.

Freshman Bernard McGee feels he did well even though he was not able to wrestle for a large portion of the season. One of McGee’s goals for next year is to earn the ironman, an award given to wrestlers that attend every practice. McGee’s favorite part of the season was when he came back at the end of the season to beat an Audubon kid who beat him before. McGee also said he looks up to Carter Cox because he “pushes you to be better and do well.”
The JV team and coaches feel that they are doing well this season for the limited amount of people they have. The JV team has a tournament on Feb. 2 in the high school gym at 4:30pm.