Trojan Basketball Remains Undefeated With a Victory Against Glenwood

Jena Brosam, Editor In Chief

Last night, Dec. 13, the Trojan boys’ and girls’ basketball teams hosted the Glenwood Rams at home. The girl’s fell to the Rams 44-55.

The boy’s teams were all able to come out victorious once again. The varsity team’s record is now 5-0 after a hard fought game against a tough opponent.

Last year, the Trojan boy’s fell short against the Rams in the second round district game, which left the Atlantic fans and players heartbroken.

This year, fans and players were prepared to take on the Rams. The atmosphere in the gym was something you couldn’t get any other place besides at AHS.

The starting five has remained the same so far this season, with sophomore Chase Mullenix, juniors Austin Alexander, Grant Podhajsky, and Scott Leonard, and senior Garrett Franken. This has been Franken’s fourth year as a starting varsity player. Mullenix, Alexander, and Leonard have all had their fair share of varsity experience since their freshman year as well.

Right from the start, the team took the lead early on and wasn’t about to look back. By the end of the first, the Trojans were ahead 18-13

In the second both teams had several good looks behind the arc for three’s. Glenwood’s offense was strong, but the Trojans were stronger. The team ended the half happily leading 36-26.

Glenwood has proved before that they are not a team to give up. Right out of the locker room in the second half, the Rams sped up the pace for the Trojans closing in the gap on several occasions.

In the third the Trojan lead got up to 14, but they ended the quarter only up by three, 53-50.

To begin the final quarter of the game, the Rams closed down the gap to only one point trailing the Trojans 52-53.

The Rams stole the lead a few times in the fourth, but it never lasted long as the Trojans pulled out their unstoppable offense.

A big asset to the Glenwood team, Nate Mohr, fouled out with minimal but also crucial time left in the game

With a minute left the Trojans were ahead by only one, 64-63. The Rams had no choice but to foul, which gave Atlantic easy points when they needed them the most.

The teams fought back and forth for the lead, but in the end the only thing that mattered was yet another Trojan victory. The Trojans took down the Rams 72-67.

The leading scorers of the game were Franken, who has been the top scorer in every game, with 26, and Alexander who is also an important scorer for the team, at 19.

Head coach Alan Jenkins said, “I thought last night’s game was a big test in terms of how we would handle pressure in late game situations. The crowd was great, and in the end, it may have been the boost we needed to get over the top.I think we are happy with our record, but hungry to get better.”

Alexander said, “I feel like we played well and attacked their defense the way we needed to.”

The Trojans next game is this Friday, Dec. 16, against Shenandoah at home.

Jenkins said, “We will prepare for Shenandoah like any other opponent.  We will look at how we need to attack their extended zone defense.  We will also analyze two days in practice of what needs to be done to ensure we are continually getting better.”

Tip off on Friday is at 7:30 in the AHS gym.