Trojan Boy’s Hold Undefeated Record

Junior+Grant+Podhajsky+guards+a+St.+Albert+player+during+the+first+home+game+of+the+season.+This+is+Podhajskys+second+year+of+varsity+experience.+

Junior Grant Podhajsky guards a St. Albert player during the first home game of the season. This is Podhajsky’s second year of varsity experience.

Jena Brosam, Editor In Chief

Last Friday, Dec. 9, the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams traveled to Creston for their first doubleheader of the season. The boy’s defeated the Panthers, advancing their record to 4-0.

In the first minutes the Trojan basketball team was tested by the Panthers, and was shown they had play their A game to pull out a win.

By the end of the first half, the Trojans trailed the Panthers 22-17.

The teams went back and forth throughout the rest of the first half battling for the lead, but the Trojans went on a 7-0 run, and was able to lead the Panthers 36-33 by the end of the second.

In the third, Creston still pushed the Trojans on offense and defense, but that didn’t stop the Atlantic team. In the end of the third the Trojans still held the lead 49-45.

Towards the final minutes of the game, both teams fought for the lead back and forth tieing the game in several occasions. When it came down to it, the Trojans were fouled numerous times, which gave them easy free throw points.

The Trojans defeated the Panthers 65-60, in a close, and well earned win to the game.

Senior Garrett Franken was the leading scorer of the game with 21 points, with junior Scott Leonard to follow at 20.

Head coach Alan Jenkins said, “I felt that the game at Creston challenged us in many ways. We had to overcome adversity, and it was our worst shooting night of the season. I thought we showed good composure and made big plays when we had to. We need to continue to play more physical, moving forward I want to see us take more charges and display a higher level of toughness.”

Sophomore Chase Mullenix said, “ It was definitely a challenge, but with it being one of our worst shooting games, I think we still played hard and made shots when we needed them.” 

The team’s next game is today, Dec. 13, against Glenwood.

The Rams are a tough opponent for the Trojans, as they took down the Atlantic team in a heartbreaking game last year in the second round of districts.

This first Trojans vs. Rams matchup is the conference game of the season.

Jenkins said, “We have a huge task ahead of us against Glenwood. We have to prepare both mentally and physically heading into the contest. With two teams ranked in the top 10 of class 3A, it should be one of the premier games in the area.”

Tip off to the varsity game is at 7:30 and the theme is whiteout. Everyone come out and support!