AP Art Students

AP Art Students

Charity Williams

AP art is a class that lets students explore their skills and help them learn what they enjoy most. It is also counts as a college class credit.   Senior Victoria Krogh said, “It’s nice to have freedoms and it has less structure and lets you express yourself. After 3 years of knowing what we do best and can grow on that.”

Krogh is a student who has taken art classes all three years before starting her senior year. She has recently finished a project that was specifically made for her semester project. It is a watercolor piece that creates a landscape. Watercolor is a specific type of style of design that is easy to make mistakes with but can be easily covered up. She mostly works with different inks, pens and mostly enjoys working with acrylic painting. One piece of advice this senior is giving to juniors is “to keep AP art in mind for next year. It’s not a hard class and it gives you a chance to grow on things and find out talents you didn’t know you had.”

Another senior who is taking AP art is Hunter Oliver. Oliver’s specific style of drawing is modern pop art. It is more of an colorful abstract drawing that really express’ one’s feeling about a piece. What he enjoys most about the class is that, “I can basically do whatever i want, you have your breathing area where you can work on different types of art.” He has recently finished a piece of art of the joker where you can find hanging in the hallway towards the art room. One piece of advice he will give to students who are thinking about taking the class is “they would enjoy it and won’t regret taking the class.”

One thing that both of these students have learned in their years with the art teacher Pat Wiederien is how to take criticism very well. Also that art is not a subject that you can just teach. What you can do is show the students the basics of technique but then let them take control. Each student has their own unique style that sets them apart and shows their strengths. Art is a class you have to feel, not think.