Drug Dog Searches

SRO Corey Larsen and dog. File photo

SRO Corey Larsen and dog. File photo

Madeline Nelson

Many students and members of the faculty at AHS have been wondering if the school is going to have a drug search like they have in past years.  The high school didn’t have one first semester due to it slipping AHS Principal Heather McKay’s mind.  With Officer Corey Larsen no longer being our School Resource Officer (SRO), it’s harder to remember to schedule these type of things.  McKay said that the two of them usually sit down in September and set up times for the whole year but “this year is different.”  

Setting up a search takes a little bit more than you think.  First, McKay chooses what type of search she would like to conduct.  The first type of search is where students stay in classrooms and they search lockers. In the second search, students put their bags in the hallways. The third type of search is both internal and external.  Officials search like they normally would inside and then they proceed to search the parking lot.  In her time of being here, McKay has never called for this search type.  McKay also prefers that there be multiple dogs when constructing the search because she doesn’t want it to take up much time.  “The best is when we have three dogs,” she said, because it doesn’t take an hour to complete the search.

If drugs were to be found in the school or the parking lot, a few different repercussions are taken.  First, the school notifies the student and their parents.  After both parties are notified, the student is taken out of school for five days.  The last thing to happen would be citations given out by the police.