“Center” of Attention: Scott Leonard

A sports profile about sophomore Scott Leonard

Alexis Handel

The 2015-2016 boys basketball season is quickly approaching and the players are ready to go.

Many players have worked in the off-season. Sophomore Scott Leonard is one of those players. Leonard plays center for the basketball team. The center position is where you generally see the tall guys.

The sophomore is looking forward to the season. Leonard said, “I’m looking forward to playing with this team.” He said that the team will be pretty good this season, which should make this a great season. Leonard said that he enjoys the team because they are fun to be around and they have a very good atmosphere.

With a new season starting, there are also positions that need to be filled. Players will have to step up. Sophomore Ben Renaud is who Leonard thinks will step up to help the team out this season. “I feel like he will step up and be put into a few varsity situations,” Leonard said. The sophomore also hopes to stay healthy this season so he can help out the team and says he feels he will have a pretty good season if he can stay in good health.

He is excited for the season to start. “It is my favorite sport and it is a lot of fun to be around this team,” Leonard said. He says he has a good understanding of the game.

AHS has three coaches for the team. Brandon Krause is the freshman coach. Leonard said that he is very energetic and is always ready to go. Krause is the “fun” coach. Jeremy Blake is the JV coach. Blake takes the game seriously and pushes the boys to work hard. Alan Jenkins is the varsity coach. Leonard said Jenkins is a very good coach. He scouts the team’s opponents and prepares the boys to the best of his ability. Jenkins pushes the boys to work hard and to be the best that they can be.

Leonard said, “I’m really looking forward to the season, it should be a good one.” The first game of the season is Tuesday, Dec. 1. The game is here at AHS against Winterset.

“We love all the support we get from the fans and if they can do that again this season, that would be great,” Leonard said. The boys hope to see the fans cheering loud and showing their Trojan pride at their opening game of the 2015-2016 season.