Senior Volleyball Profiles

Senior Volleyball Profiles

Shelby Pelzer

Trojan high school volleyball careers have officially come to an end for seniors Meghan Reilly, Skye Thompson and Erin Olsen.  “It going to be difficult to replace them. They have done a lot of nice things for the program,” said Coach Emma Walker.

Meghan Reilly’s high school volleyball career has finished, but she plans to play at Beloit college in Beloit, WI.  Reilly will be studying pre-med. Reilly’s past volleyball season has consisted of highs and lows. Highs being the Winterset tournament and “feeling like a team”, and the biggest low being the last game. Reilly described the feeling as bittersweet, “you don’t realize how fast it goes by until it’s over.” Reilly has been playing volleyball since 6th grade and has been a 4 year varsity starter.

This season, Reilly has worked hard to keep the team positive and help them reach their full potential.“I thought we really worked well with each other.We worked hard, got along, and had fun,” Reilly said. “The best was Winterset tournament, feeling like a team.”  Reilly will remember the close bonds and friendships she was able to form from the sport.  Reilly said the hardest parts of volleyball were “not playing well, and struggling at times.” Reilly is also involved in track.

Thompson said, “We made a lot of progress and everybody had a lot of fun,” about the season, as she made memories with her teammates. One of the things from this season she will miss the most were the “funny times in practice and everyone enjoying the same sport.” This season was also sad because “It was my last time playing my favorite sport.”  Thompson hit well and had the most kills of the season but says she could have improved on her jump serve.

“We made a lot of progress and everybody had a lot of fun.”  Thompson said she originally planned to play volleyball in college, but decided to attend University of Nebraska-Lincoln for pre-health. Thompson started playing volleyball in middle school, due to her other friends being interested in it. Thompson has been a 3 year starter, and is also involved in basketball and dance.

Olsen said that this was an “interesting” season and will remember playing well in volleyball games. Olsen said, “seeing your friends and playing in games,” are the biggest advantages in the sport. Olsen was dual sporting with swim team, so she had to attend both swim and volleyball practices, with the time conflicts she could not make it to all of them was the biggest obstacle this season.  Coach Walker said, “Erin is a great setter and very good athlete.”

Olsen has played the sport during 7-8th grade year, freshman and sophomore year, took a year off her junior year, and came back out senior year. Her interest was just wanting to try a new sport. Olsen is not for sure on where she will be attending college, but will pursue a nursing degree. Olsen hopes to play basketball in college, which is her favorite sport.  Olsen is also involved in basketball, golf, swimming, and softball.

Thank you Seniors for all you did for our team this year!

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 8.18.07 AM