FFA Fruit Sales Coming Soon

by Calley Klindt, Madisen Sandhorst, and Kennedy Laurdisen

The Atlantic High School FFA Fruit Sales will start on Oct. 6 and go till Oct. 22.

The fruit sales vary on prices, but most of them raise anywhere from $5-$25. The best selling items FFA has had in the past are the clementines and the caramel apples. In 2013 new fruits added were the cranberry white macadamia nut cookie dough and the double chocolate butter braid.

The FFA members have a goal to sell over $250 worth the sales. They sell in Atlantic and other surrounding areas. Members go to a variety of places, ask the place if they would like to purchase anything, fill out a form, and turn the sheet into agriculture and FFA adviser Mr. Miller. After about a week, the fruit sales come in and each individual delivers the items to the customers.

Miller said, “I have been selling fruit sales since high school, and now I can help students sell their fruit sales.” Miller’s favorite fruit to sell are the clementines. Miller also said that selling fruit sales is a great opportunity for students to learn people skills, financial management, and sale skills.

AHS principal Heather McKay said, “I love the FFA fruit sales because I think it gives a different option to the students selling the fruit and to the customers who will be buying them.” McKay’s favorite item to buy are the caramel apples and the peanut butter bears.  She likes to see the kids out in the community selling.

“The fruit sales are a good way of making money, and are also amazing Christmas presents,” said history teacher Terry Hinzmann.

The fruit sales are a very important part of FFA because it gives the students knowledge about financial abilities, and also is a fun and interactive way to raise money for the FFA chapter.