A Freshman’s Guide for High School Survival

The class of 2018 explored the halls during Freshman Orientation on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014.

Monica Brewer

by Monica Brewer

Every high schooler can remember when they were a freshman.  Things can seem kind of scary when it comes to the first few weeks of school.  Here are just a few tips for freshmen to know about high school.

These first few tips should help with what to take with you to classes.  You should always take your laptop with you (your teachers and the 1-1 orientation should cover the laptop policies).  Take your supplies (paper, pencil, etc.) with you.  How much you take with you depends on what class(es) you take.

Junior Seth Schulte says that freshmen should definitely take a pencil and a good old fashioned notebook with them.  Textbooks are a must when it comes to classes (unless failing is what you want to do).

This next piece of advice is RECOMMENDED.  Make sure you take your positive attitude with you to your classes.  Kick bad attitudes out the door, they can be dealt with later.

When walking through the halls and to classes, junior Tim Davidson says, “Watch out for people punching walls.”  Sophomore Matthew Brewer adds that you shouldn’t brag.  “Bragging leads to fights,” he says.

When dealing with classes for this year, keep these next few tips in mind.  Always get to class on time.  When in class, make sure to pay attention with what the teacher says/lectures about.  Most of what they say could be a quiz or test in the future.  Take quality notes on the subject that a class covers.  It’s recommended that students should write their notes rather than by laptop, but find what works for you.

Follow the rules that teachers have set.  It’s better than getting an office referral.

Under any circumstances, DON’T CHEAT on anything.  Failing a class is not the way to start high school.

When planning the next years of high school, think about these tips.  The Huffington Post suggests that freshmen should join a couple of clubs/activities (don’t knock it until you try it).  Not only does it sound fun, but it builds up confidence and a sense of teamwork.

When signing up for classes to take for next year, make sure you get most of the required classes out of the way.  It’s easier dealing with getting five credits before the end of senior year rather than nine.

Always have friends around because they help you get through high school.  I’m not saying that you should be friends with your assigned seminar teacher, but being nice to them helps in the long run.  Teachers come and go with the classes that are required and taken, but seminar teachers are with you for your whole high school career so take advantage to having another potential person that you trust.

Campus Explorer suggests this most important tip: You should care about high school because, from the words of Sophomore Bryn Blanchette, ”Freshmen are our future.”

Here are some last pieces of information freshmen need.  When dealing with lunch, don’t cause a disruption to other classes in session.  Don’t drop your trays for fun and clean up after yourselves (the janitors would appreciate it very much if we all help them out).

Stand up for yourself and don’t let yourself get bullied by other classmates or upperclassmen.

Make these next few years count, freshmen.  Your high school years are the best years of your life.