OPINION: Lack of Sleep in School

imgresBy Landon Stark

Every morning, we see what looks to be zombies roaming the halls, but if you look closer, you will notice those zombies are actually tired students.
Students always come to school seeming as if they have lack of sleep, and it is a big problem. We as students get pounded with various things we must do throughout the day, come to school, pay attention to teachers’ endless lectures, go to practices, work, and them come home to do hours of homework given that day by teachers.

So when are we able to get the amount of sleep we need? People seem to think we need less sleep than we used to, but they are wrong. Research shows that an average high school student needs 8 1/2 -9 hours of sleep every night. We still need the same amount of sleep we used to get before getting into this hectic thing called high schools.

Some people simply are not able to get that amount of sleep. I normally work five hour shifts, 5-10. This would mean I have to get home and go straight to bed in order to even get close to my nine hours of sleep a night. Even if students get in bed by 10, they still have to fall asleep which can seem like an impossible task.
In the morning, students are not completely awake. Studies show that if students are given a test in the morning, their scores will be poor compared to if they take the test later in the day, Over 50% of high school students report that they sleep seven hours or less each night, and about one in five get less than six hours. 82% of both middle and high school students said that they woke up tired and unrefreshed, and more than half had trouble concentrating in school. So how could the schools fix this? Should the schools allow for more sleep every night, possibly give less homework, or shorter school days? I feel they should work on fixing the school schedule in order to allow students to have the required amount of sleep.

View Comments (1)