Students have wavering faith for show choir season

Students have wavering faith for show choir season.
    By Alyssa Askeland

Show choir groupings change for 2011-12 season

It’s time for smiley faces and fancy clothes in the 100 hallway because show choir competitions are just around the corner! Each group hopes to shine and sparkle at the many performances planned for the season. However, some students don’t [agree.]Last year many changes were made to the show choir corner of the vocal department. [Mr.] Luke Johnson, AHS vocal director, made an [executive] decision to condense the groups from three to two.In addition to this change, the original name of the varsity show choir was switched from Ambassadors to Premier. The joint choirs of Sensations and Fresh Look named themselves Diversity and new outfits were made or revised for the groups.
    This year, with the large group of freshman the vocal department received, Johnson made the choice to create another prep group.
    Last year’s arrangement caused some difficulty in rehearsals. “The outside rehearsals to bring Diversity together were a hassle,” says sophomore Hannah Jespersen, “I felt like (the freshman) were learning different things during our period than 3rd period was. Putting it all together early in the morning was difficult and bothersome.”Choirs assembling for competitions

Coming up on Jan. 19, all three show choirs will be performing at AHS.

Swing Inn has been the kick-off for the show choir season back to the days of ‘ole, and the community expects an impeccable performance from each group.

AHS choral director, Mr. Luke Johnson stated that Swing Inn, “presents (the) contest sets to our community and (acts) like a warm up performance for competition.”

Junior Kallee Mudd says, “I’m a bit nervous for Swing Inn and competitions. As the top show choir, we have a lot of cleaning to do. If we are still a bit messy, I wonder how far along the younger kids are.”

The weekend after Swing Inn is the first competition at Dallas Center-Grimes High School. With many schools like Pella, Norwalk, and Des Moines Christian, the AHS groups are up against tough competitors.

As the day draws nearer, more students are wavering in their faith. Treble Makers member Grace Jacob is still swaying in confidence. “I think we’ll be okay. But as a freshman, I don’t really know what to expect,” remarked Jacob. “We have a good show and I think it’ll come together in time. But that doesn’t mean we won’t freeze stepping onto the stage.”

Last year the groups did fairly well. With Division I and II ratings at state and an outstanding soloist award at Dallas Center-Grimes, the 2011-2012 groups have high expectations to live up to.

Will the shows come together in time for Swing Inn? Come watch Jan. 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the AHS auditorium.

View Comments (1)