Atlantic Drops Dual Against Abraham Lincoln

The boys swim team came up short against the Council Bluffs area school on Thursday, Jan. 16.

Anastasia Muell

Sophomore Brayden Atkinson dives into the water at the start of a relay race. Atkinson won two events on Thursday.

The Trojan swim team played host to Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln on Thursday, Jan. 16 in a dual. Atlantic won eight events but narrowly lost to the Lynx, 77-69. 

Individually, the boys won six events. Sophomore Brayden Atkinson was the top dog in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.56. In the 100-yard breaststroke, sophomore Drew Engler took the top spot with a 1:11.43. This is the second victory in a row for Engler in the event, as he finished first against Lewis Central on Monday, Jan. 13. Senior Cole Sampson got it done in the 100-yard backstroke, completing his route with a time of 1:07.40. Representing Atlantic in the 100-yard freestyle was sophomore Alex Sampson, who finished in first place. A. Sampson touched the wall in 55.04. Finally, sophomore Bryan York won two events. York swam the 200-yard freestyle in 2:01.32, and he completed the 500-yard freestyle in 5:21.45. Like Engler, he won both of these events in the dual with Lewis Central as well.

After a strong individual showing, the Trojan squad continued their success in the relay events. Engler, C. Sampson, A. Sampson, and York swam the 200-yard freestyle relay, earning first place. The group completed the race in 1:43.19. C. Sampson, A. Sampson, and York were back at it in the 400-yard freestyle relay, this time with Atkinson. The boys swam a 3:50.28 on their way to a first place finish. Their time had improved by 1.35 seconds since the Lewis Central dual.

The boys will dive back into the water on Saturday, Jan. 25 against Lewis Central.