Trojan Swimming Places Fourth

The boys competed in Marshalltown on Saturday.

Anastasia Muell

Sophomore Bryce Schmidtke competes in a home meet this season. In Saturday’s meet, Schmitdke swam in the 2 x 100 relay and 200-yard relay.

After hosting Sioux City North and South Sioux City on Thursday, Dec. 12, the Atlantic boys swim team trekked to Marshalltown. The boys competed in a field of five teams, where they came in fourth.

Atlantic earned two runner-up finishes at the meet. Sophomores Bryan York and Alex Sampson grabbed second place in the 2 x 200 freestyle relay. They swam a 4:08.98 to earn a medal. York teamed up with A. Sampson’s older brother, Cole, in the 2 x 500 freestyle relay. The sophomore-senior duo snagged runner-up honors after swimming a 11:23.74.

In team scoring, the home squad lead the field with 98 points. This was the second meet of the season in which Atlantic swam against Marshalltown, and in both instances Marshalltown was the top team amongst all of the groups competing. A swimming squad comprised of the Newton, Colfax-Mingo, and Pella schools took second with 63 points. Cedar Rapids Kennedy edged Atlantic 44 to 41, and Waterloo brought up the rear with 28 points.

Next up for the boys swim team is a triangular in Carroll on Thursday, Dec. 19.