Clarinda and Glenwood Outlast Atlantic

In the first conference challenge of the season, the Trojans came up short.

Madison Botos

Junior Caroline Pellett sends the ball over the net while freshman Aubrey Guyer comes in for backup. The two girls combined for 13 kills on Tuesday night.

Atlantic competed in a triangular on Tuesday against Clarinda and Glenwood. This was the first conference event of the season for the Trojans. The girls were looking to snap their 11-year winless skid in the Hawkeye 10.

The Trojans played the Rams (9-6), who were coming off a three-game win streak. Earlier on in the season, Atlantic lost to Glenwood in straight sets, 21-13, 21-13. Knowing what they were up against, the Trojans put their best foot forward on Tuesday night.

In the first set, a solid defense from Atlantic kept them in the game. The Rams remained in the lead, snagging the set, 25-17. Following the first set, power hitting from Glenwood made it tough on the Trojans. Other mistakes plagued Atlantic, including receiving serves. The Rams would go on to win the next two sets, 25-14 each.

In the straight-set loss to Glenwood–one of the top teams in the conference–Atlantic had 33 digs and 14 kills. 

Clarinda was the host of the triangular. The Cardinals (3-4) were Atlantic’s main targets for the night. Going into the match, the volleyball girls knew Clarinda was a beatable team.

Right from the get-go, Atlantic squashed the Cardinals. With a 25-11 decision, the Trojans blazed into the second set with a positive attitude. The second period went into extra points, in which Clarinda made it even at one set apiece. In the third, Clarinda took the lead with a 25-23 steal. However, Atlantic battled back with their solid defense and pushed it to a final fifth set. 

With their backs against the wall, the Trojans tumbled in the final set. The 15-4 loss for Atlantic kept their goal of winning a conference game unaccomplished. 

Even though the girls lost the match with Clarinda, it was a promising showing for Atlantic. They had 79 digs and 38 assists against the Cardinals.