• May 23The softball home opener is Friday against Thomas Jefferson. Good luck!

• May 23The baseball boys take on Red Oak at home on Thursday. Good luck!

• May 20Good luck to the singles players at state tennis on Friday and Saturday!

• May 20Good luck to the golfers at state on Thursday and Friday!

• May 20Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday this week!

Atlantic Girls Hang Up Rackets

History is made after girls' tennis team posts best record in seven years.

Sophomore+Genevieve+Martinez+eyes+her+shot+in+warmups.+Martinez+won+nine+matches+this+season%2C+including+a+double+dip+in+the+history-making+win+at+Harlan.+

Atlantic Girls Hang Up Rackets

Sophomore Genevieve Martinez eyes her shot in warmups. Martinez won nine matches this season, including a double dip in the history-making win at Harlan.

Makynzie Steffens

Makynzie Steffens

Makynzie Steffens

Girls’ tennis has come to a close for the Trojans after finishing their team season with a dual record of 3-9. The Atlantic girls grabbed wins against Harlan, Audubon, and Southwest Valley, which was the last dual of the season. The Trojans beat the Timberwolves 7-2, with every girl on the lineup getting at least one win.

However, in team postseason play, the Trojans were unable to move past the district round, as they faced conference-champion Red Oak, and fell short, 5-0.

The girls’ squad had success at the conference meet as well, finishing in tenth place and posting two eighth-place winners. Junior Hana Holtz in #1 singles, as well as sophomores Molly McFadden and Tessa Grooms in #2 doubles, each contributed one point to the team total to beat out Harlan at the meet, and to earn eighth place. “I was proud of how we put up some points at conference and placed better as a team, as well as individually,” Holtz said.

After districts, the focus shifted from team play to individual efforts. The team competed in regionals on Wednesday, where they faced hot conditions and tough tennis. In doubles, juniors Emma Templeton and Chloe Davis drew a Red Oak duo first round, where they lost 1-6, 2-6. McFadden and Grooms faced a Clarinda team, and lost a heartbreaker 2-6, 6-4, 6-7, after over two and a half hours on the court.

In singles, sophomore Genevieve Martinez fell short of fourth-seeded Jentry Shaefer of Southwest Valley, 0-6, 1-6. Holtz was the only entry to make it out of the first round, beating Harlan’s Liz Devine 6-2, 6-0. In the quarterfinals, Holtz took on three-seed Macy Baker of Red Oak, who would eventually qualify for state. Holtz was unable to cop a dub, losing 0-6, 2-6. “We grew closer as a team amongst the success we attained this season,” Holtz said.

About the Contributors
Molly McFadden, Staff Writer

“Hey sisters,”  Molly McFadden’s famous saying rings in the ears of everyone who’s met her.  She is an extrovert who isn’t afraid to speak...

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....

Makynzie Steffens, Staff Writer

Makynzie Steffens found her love in journalism from her mom who was also in journalism class during her high school years. Steffens said, “Berryhill...