Track Boys Earn Trojan Relays Title

The boys’ track team beat out Glenwood for the team title at the home relays by 12.5 points.

SOARING+OVER+-+Sophomore+Joe+Weaver+leaps+over+the+hurdle+during+his+respective+leg+of+the+shuttle+hurdle+relay.+Weaver+has+participated+in+track+for+two+years.+

Makynzie Steffens

SOARING OVER – Sophomore Joe Weaver leaps over the hurdle during his respective leg of the shuttle hurdle relay. Weaver has participated in track for two years.

Maddie Botos, Staff Writer

The Atlantic boys track team snatched the win at their home meet on Monday, April 29. With 139 points, the Trojans took first with a 12.5 point lead ahead of second-place Glenwood.

Nathan Behrends, Craig Alan Becker, Bradley Dennis and Chase Mullenix also broke the previous meet record for the 4x800m relay with a time of 8:11.10, winning by 20 seconds.

A highlight from the meet was junior Bradley Dennis winning the 1600 by a lean with a time of 4:44.84. A few other highlights were junior Tyler Moen winning the 100m dash and the 200m dash, with senior Zade Niklasen just 0.15 seconds behind in the 200m dash. Niklasen won the 400m dash with a time of 52.77. Chase Mullenix blew everyone out of the water in the 800m run, with the closest competitor four seconds behind him. Senior Jalen Petersen won the 3200m run with a time of 10:13 and sophomore Colin Mullenix won the 400m hurdles with a time of 57.99.

The 4x400m relay of Niklasen, Co. Mullenix, Moen and Ch. Mullenix won by 10 seconds.

The Trojans will travel to Lewis Central on Thursday, May 2 for the Hawkeye-10 Conference meet.