Atlantic Boys Finish Third at Co-Ed Ram Relays

Caroline Pellett

WORKING TOGETHER – Senior Chase Mullinex and Sophomore Craig Alan Becker push each other during their race. Mullinex and Becker have been solid runners for the boys’ team.

Maycie Waters, Staff Writer

The Atlantic boys’ track team had a successful night at the Co-Ed Ram Relays hosted by Lewis Central on Monday, April 22. The team finished third with a total of 104 points, just behind Glenwood in second with 109 points.

Sophomore Craig Alan Becker finished first in every event he participated in. Becker won the 1600m run, with a PR of 4:35.97. He also ran in the distance medley relay and the 4x800m relay winning with a time of 8:18.97. Senior Nathan Behrends, junior Bradley Dennis and senior Chase Mullinex were Becker’s teammates for the winning 4x800m relay. Head coach Jordan Mullen said, “I wasn’t so much worried about times, I just wanted to compete.” Mullenix “stepped up big.” Mullinex ran in the 800m run, taking first with 2:00.13.

The sprint medley relay consisting of junior Spencer Ray, freshman Gannon O’Hara, junior Tyler Moen and senior Zade Niklasen took first with a time of 1:38.88.  Niklasen and Moen were also part of the winning 4x400m relay team with sophomore Colin Mullenix and Ch. Mullenix crossing the line in 3:27.99.

Other highlights from the meet include Senior Connor Pellett going almost sub-60 in the 400m hurdles. The throwers are “coming around good.” Mullen said the throwers are getting a little more consistent and he hopes they can get the good throws out like they do in practice.

The track team is preparing for the Drake Relays just like any other meet. The Drake Relays will be held from April 24 to April 27. “We have built a good enough program starting out with Alan Jenkins,” Mullen said. Ch. Mullenix will be running in the 800m run, 400m run, and 4x400m relay. Becker will be in the distance medley relay, 800m run, and 4x400m relay. Niklasen will be in the distance medley relay, 400m run, and 4x400m relay. Moen will run the distance medley and 4x400m relay. Co. Mullenix will be in the distance medley relay.