Trojan Boys Sweep Cyclones

The boys’ tennis team etched another win in the column, putting them above .500 heading into the latter half of the season.

Dani Mathisen

Sophomore Bodie Johnson zones in before serving at the Sunnyside courts. Johnson has played tennis both years of high school.

On the home court, the Atlantic boys’ tennis team rolled to 4-3 after sweeping all matches against the Harlan Cyclones on Monday. The winless Cyclones had been swept three times prior this season.

One highlight came from junior Jesse Reid (#2), who edged his opponent in tiebreak, 7-1. Also, senior Avery Andersen (#6) had his first shutout win against the Cyclones. Finally, junior Nile Petersen (#1) and sophomore Grant Sturm (#5) maintained their unbeaten status, with 10-7 and 10-1 victories, respectively.

In doubles, the #1 duo of Petersen and junior Brody O’Brien topped their opponents, 10-5. Reid and G. Sturm at #2–as well as sophomore Ethan Williams and freshman Ethan Sturm at #3–claimed commanding 10-1 wins. This was the third time the boys’ team 9-0’ed a squad this season.

In other boys’ tennis action, the top six JV players–E. Sturm, Bodie Johnson, Jacob Park, Chris Krogh, Hunter Weppler, and Dayton Templeton–competed in a dual against Audubon on Tuesday. Though Atlantic’s JV participated, Audubon brought their varsity team. The JV boys were swept 9-0 by the Wheelers, though many scores were close across the board.

The varsity squad is back in action on Thursday in Red Oak. The Tigers sit at 3-3, and in the middle of the conference pack. Play starts at 4:30 p.m.