• February 13Good luck to those participating in the IHSSA All-State Large Group Events this weekend!

• February 13Good luck to the wrestlers participating at the State tournament this week!

Filed under FFA, Showcase

Busy Day for Atlantic FFA

Members from the Atlantic FFA chapter traveled to Boyer Valley to participate in the Northwest Subdistrict CDE's.

Busy Day for Atlantic FFA

CONDUCTING BUSINESS - Drey Newell, Alyssa Derby, Hannah Carlson, Garrett Reynolds, Aspen Niklasen, Skyler Handlos and Taylor McCreedy made up the conduct team for the 2019 Southwest District CDE's. At the end of the day, the group placed fifth.

Eric Miller

Eric Miller

Eric Miller

Twenty-two FFA members traveled to Boyer Valley for the Northwest Subdistrict CDE’s on Wednesday, Feb. 6. Three of the fifteen will advance to districts, and two were balloted for the 2019-20 Southwest District FFA Officer Team.

Seniors Tyler Comes and Nathan Behrends also had their Iowa FFA Degree approved at District Review Night.

Advancing to districts is Comes in Extemporaneous Speaking, junior Carli Henderson in Job Interview and freshman Bryan York in FFA Creed. Senior Katie York is an alternate to districts in Public Speaking.

The Conduct Team, consisting of sophomores Garrett Reynolds, Alyssa Derby, Skyler Handlos, Drey Newell, Taylor McCreedy and Hannah Carlson, and freshman Aspen Niklasen, placed fifth. Tate Den Beste and Craig Alan Becker also placed fifth in Ag Broadcasting and Ag Sales, respectively.

Comes will be advancing to State for his beef entrepreneurship proficiency award, as well as McCreedy for her equine entrepreneurship proficiency award.

Atlantic’s 2019 District Office participants

Juniors Adriana Mendez, Corri Pelzer and Den Beste all went through the process to be balloted for the Southwest District office. After taking the Iowa FFA knowledge test, a seven-on-one interview session and a two-on-one interview session, Mendez and Pelzer will move on. The first interview session consisted of four questions, each with two minutes to answer, while the second had two questions with one minute to answer each. Mendez will compete for the office of reporter against Nicole Behrendt of Boyer Valley, and Pelzer will compete for the office of sentinel against Nathan Krueger of Carroll Area. Mendez said she didn’t learn she had been balloted until after arriving home, when “Corri called me cheering that I had got balloted.”

Mendez said she was nervous for the interview portion of seven people, but wanted to have fun with it and have “lots of confidence.” To prepare, she practiced the questions they were given beforehand. Mendez said she had a “really great time” with the other candidates, as they shared stories and learned more about each other. “By the time people were getting pulled for their interviews, we were wishing everyone good luck and cheering them on.”

FFA Greenhand Test participants

Nine freshmen took the Greenhand Test at the event, including Malena Woodward, Wyatt Redinbaugh, Cooper Jipsen, Logan Eilts, Bryan York, Aspen Niklasen, Drew Engler, Torie Steinhoff and Drew Skartvedt. Place-winners included Engler in first, York in eighth and Niklasen in ninth. Gold and silver were awarded to the rest of the participants.

Newell and Behrends also participated in the farm business management test, with Behrends placing first and Newell second.

The District Convention will take place in March, where advancing members will participate in their respective events and district office voting will take place.

About the Writers
Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and...

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Serving as a lead editor and one of the business managers, senior Erin Wendt has been involved in journalism since the beginning of her sophomore year....