• April 23Trojan Diner is this Friday.

• April 23Boys' soccer hosts two games this week, on Thursday and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23The Drake Relays start on Thursday. The girls' and boys' teams have sent representatives to compete. Good luck!

• April 23Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Tuesday and Friday, as they take on St. Albert and Harlan.

• April 23Girls' tennis has three meets this week, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' golf has two home meets this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' tennis has duals on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Good luck!

• April 22The concert band will be holding their annual Patty Hannon concert on Sunday in the auditorium.

• April 22The speech and debate team is hosting a showcase on Saturday in the commons and auditorium.

Girls’ Basketball Victorious Once Again

A strong fourth quarter helped Atlantic get their third win of the season, 60-50.

Girls’ Basketball Victorious Once Again

The varsity girls throw their hands in the air after the conclusion of the National Anthem. The win against Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln is third of the season for the Trojan girls, as they have also topped Saint Albert and Clarinda this year.

Madison Botos

Madison Botos

Madison Botos

The Trojan girls matched up with Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln on Friday night in what would go down as a thriller. The 2-15 Trojans traveled to Lynx turf for a cross-conference game.

Abraham Lincoln came into the game boasting a winning record containing nine wins and six losses. Though the two schools play in different conferences, they often play one another in a variety of sports. Previously in the season, the Lynx had beaten three Hawkeye 10 teams–Shenandoah, Harlan, and Saint Albert. Of those three opponents, Atlantic had only topped one–Saint Albert.

The starting lineup for the Trojans included sophomore Haley Rasmussen, juniors Kenzie Waters and Corri Pelzer, and seniors Baylee Newell and Heidi Williams. At the end of the first quarter, Abraham Lincoln led 13-6. However, the Trojans recovered in the second quarter, and trailed by only one point heading into the locker room.

While the Lynx put together points to pull away from the Trojans in the third quarter, Atlantic battled on in the fourth, outscoring Abraham Lincoln 28-11 in the final frame. With the offense offered in the fourth quarter, Atlantic was able to pull away for the first time all game, and grab the win, 60-50.

The last time the Atlantic girls were victorious over Abraham Lincoln was during the 2015-16 season, which was the last time the girls’ program had a winning record.

Three Trojans finished the game in double-figures–Newell and Waters scored 14, and Rasmussen netted 12.

As part of a boys’-girls’ doubleheader, Atlantic will play Creston in the AHS gym on Monday. This is the annual Pink Out game, which helps to raise funds and support for the American Cancer Society.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....

Madison Botos, Staff Writer

Madison Botos makes long strides going into journalism, along with cross country. Botos decided to become a journalist when some of her older friends told...