• April 23Trojan Diner is this Friday.

• April 23Boys' soccer hosts two games this week, on Thursday and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23The Drake Relays start on Thursday. The girls' and boys' teams have sent representatives to compete. Good luck!

• April 23Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Tuesday and Friday, as they take on St. Albert and Harlan.

• April 23Girls' tennis has three meets this week, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' golf has two home meets this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' tennis has duals on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Good luck!

• April 22The concert band will be holding their annual Patty Hannon concert on Sunday in the auditorium.

• April 22The speech and debate team is hosting a showcase on Saturday in the commons and auditorium.

Atlantic Sweeps Clarinda in Boys’-Girls’ Doubleheader

After getting moved up one day, both Trojan squads came to Clarinda to compete.

Junior Tyler Moen stands tough on defense in Thursday's game against Clarinda. Moen led his team with 16 points against the Cardinals.

Kennedy Goergen

Kennedy Goergen

Kennedy Goergen

Both the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams headed for Clarinda on Thursday to take on the Cardinals. The game was supposed to be played the following night, but was moved up due to impending inclement weather. Because of the schedule change, the freshman teams and the girls’ JV team didn’t compete.

In girls’ action, Atlantic topped Clarinda for the ninth-straight time, by the score of 63-53. This victory gave the Trojan girls their first conference win of the season.

At halftime, the Trojans led 38-19. In the second half, the Cardinals creeped up on the Trojans, outscoring them in both quarters. However, the Trojans were able to maintain the lead and snag the win. This game was very unusual in the fouling aspect, as a total 58 fouls were called on both teams.

Three Trojans were in double-digits by the time the buzzer sounded–senior Alyssa Ginther led the way with 16, senior Baylee Newell was right behind her with 15 points, and junior Kenzie Waters finished with 12 points. Waters also slated half of her team’s assists with six.

In boys’ hoops, the Trojans tossed the Cardinals, 62-49. This ended a seven-game losing streak for the Trojan boys.

At the end of the first quarter, Atlantic was in front 21-16. The group would continue to add onto their lead as the match rolled on, as they outscored Clarinda in both quarters of the second half. Steals helped the Trojans put up points to pull away from their opponent.

Like in the girls’ game, three Trojans finished the game in double-figures–junior Tyler Moen put up 16 points, senior Logan Reilly netted 13 points, and senior Chase Mullenix ended the night with 12. The boys grabbed 28 rebounds against Clarinda.

Another doubleheader against Clarinda will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 5 in the AHS gym.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....

Kennedy Goergen, Staff Writer

You don’t see Kennedy Goergen very often outside of the field, gym, or track. In her free time, she enjoys focusing on her sports, especially her favorite...