Atlantic Sweeps Clarinda in Boys’-Girls’ Doubleheader

After getting moved up one day, both Trojan squads came to Clarinda to compete.

Kennedy Goergen

Junior Tyler Moen stands tough on defense in Thursday’s game against Clarinda. Moen led his team with 16 points against the Cardinals.

Both the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams headed for Clarinda on Thursday to take on the Cardinals. The game was supposed to be played the following night, but was moved up due to impending inclement weather. Because of the schedule change, the freshman teams and the girls’ JV team didn’t compete.

In girls’ action, Atlantic topped Clarinda for the ninth-straight time, by the score of 63-53. This victory gave the Trojan girls their first conference win of the season.

At halftime, the Trojans led 38-19. In the second half, the Cardinals creeped up on the Trojans, outscoring them in both quarters. However, the Trojans were able to maintain the lead and snag the win. This game was very unusual in the fouling aspect, as a total 58 fouls were called on both teams.

Three Trojans were in double-digits by the time the buzzer sounded–senior Alyssa Ginther led the way with 16, senior Baylee Newell was right behind her with 15 points, and junior Kenzie Waters finished with 12 points. Waters also slated half of her team’s assists with six.

In boys’ hoops, the Trojans tossed the Cardinals, 62-49. This ended a seven-game losing streak for the Trojan boys.

At the end of the first quarter, Atlantic was in front 21-16. The group would continue to add onto their lead as the match rolled on, as they outscored Clarinda in both quarters of the second half. Steals helped the Trojans put up points to pull away from their opponent.

Like in the girls’ game, three Trojans finished the game in double-figures–junior Tyler Moen put up 16 points, senior Logan Reilly netted 13 points, and senior Chase Mullenix ended the night with 12. The boys grabbed 28 rebounds against Clarinda.

Another doubleheader against Clarinda will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 5 in the AHS gym.