• April 23Trojan Diner is this Friday.

• April 23Boys' soccer hosts two games this week, on Thursday and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23The Drake Relays start on Thursday. The girls' and boys' teams have sent representatives to compete. Good luck!

• April 23Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Tuesday and Friday, as they take on St. Albert and Harlan.

• April 23Girls' tennis has three meets this week, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' golf has two home meets this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' tennis has duals on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Good luck!

• April 22The concert band will be holding their annual Patty Hannon concert on Sunday in the auditorium.

• April 22The speech and debate team is hosting a showcase on Saturday in the commons and auditorium.

Filed under Showcase, Sports, Swimming

Twelfth Place Finish for Girls’ Swim Team

With 63 total points, the girls' swimming team finished 12th out of 31 competing teams.

DIVE+IN+-+Members+of+the+girls%27+swim+team+compete+in+the+200+Medley+relay+at+the+State+meet.+They+placed+14th.+

DIVE IN - Members of the girls' swim team compete in the 200 Medley relay at the State meet. They placed 14th.

This past weekend, members of the girls’ swim team traveled to Marshalltown to compete in the State Swim meet held on Nov. 2 and 3. They competed in eight events, five individual and three relays. Overall, the girls’ placed 12th in a field of 31 teams.

Clare Christensen and Anna Lowary were two of the swimmers who qualified individually. They competed in the preliminary races held on Nov. 2 but did not qualify for finals. Christensen swam the 100 yd. Butterfly and Lowary in the 200 yd. IM and the 100 yd. Backstroke. Cambry Miller swam in two individual races, the 100 yd. Freestyle and the 200 yd. Freestyle, both advancing to finals. Miller placed ninth in 100 freestyle and 14th in 200 freestyle. “This was my best year because I placed the highest individually,” Miller said.

Miller, one of two seniors, has competed at the State meet all four years of high school. She enjoys swimming the 100 free because “I’m trained physically for the 200 but the 100 is half the distance.” Her most memorable moment from the season was after her final race at the State meet. “All of my teammates came and hugged me,” she said.

For the three relays, the 200 yd.  freestyle relay consisting of Miller, Christensen, Aleah Hermansen and Kate Landuis placed eighth and the 400 yd. freestyle relay finished in seventh place. Swimming in the 400 was Miller, Christensen, Lowary and Hermansen. The third relay, the 200 yd. Medley, finished 14th, with Lowary, Christensen, Hermansen and McKenna Ewoldt.

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Serving as a lead editor and one of the business managers, senior Erin Wendt has been involved in journalism since the beginning of her sophomore year....