• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Volleyball Season Comes to an End in Carroll

Trojans lose in straight sets to top-ranked Kuemper Catholic.

Senior+Sadie+Welter+and+junior+Kenzie+Waters+are+ready+to+receive+the+opponent%27s+serve.+
Senior Sadie Welter and junior Kenzie Waters are ready to receive the opponent's serve.

Reagan Pellett

Reagan Pellett

Matched up against the #1 team in class 3A, the Atlantic Trojan volleyball team made their way to Carroll on Wednesday with the hopes of keeping their season alive. The Trojans held a record of 8-27 coming into the Regional Quarterfinal, while the opposition arrived with an almost-perfect record of 39-1–their only loss coming from conference champion St. Albert.

In conference play, the Trojans fell to the Knights in straight sets, 25-6, 25-17, 25-14. Atlantic hoped to fight against their talented challengers in this must-win situation.

Kuemper Catholic started the match with service. The Knights aced the Trojans in the first three possessions of the match. After seven straight Kuemper points, the Trojans got on the scoreboard after a service error. Atlantic claimed another point when senior Taylor Hansen got a block for the Trojans. In the first set, Kuemper Catholic had two runs of seven points and a final run of 11 points that clinched the set 25-2.

Atlantic started off with the ball in the second set. Right away, Kuemper got rolling and made kill after kill on the Trojans. Kuemper Catholic strung points together and looked to end the set, but a kill by sophomore Alyssa Derby halted the Knights 24-6. With sophomore Haley Rasmussen serving, the Trojans gained momentum to earn some points on the scoreboard and keep the set going. However, after a four-point run by Atlantic, Kuemper claimed the last point needed to end the second set, 25-10.

With their backs against the wall, and the season looking to come to a close, Atlantic dug in at the start of the third set. During the second rally, Atlantic snagged a kill on the Knights and tied the score up at 1-1. Junior Chloe Davis went back to serve, and good defense by the Trojans helped them gain the lead for the first time all night. On the next possession, Kuemper put up a block on the Trojans, and tied the game back up. The opposition would go on a six point run to help secure the lead and the win. Atlantic dropped the last set–which would be the last of the season–25-6.

In their final match, the Trojans went 17-18 from behind the service line. Hansen put up a block and had three digs in her last match. Senior Emma Joyce put up two blocks. Finally, senior Sadie Welter notched two digs.

The Trojans ended the 2018 season with a record of 8-28. They went 0-10 in conference play. Through 90 total sets, the group had 466 kills and 97 aces.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

Reagan Pellett, Editor

Reagan Pellett became involved in journalism because of her older friends and her interest in taking pictures. Pellet is a yearbook editor, so she takes pictures for and designs pages in the yearbook. Pellett’s favorite part of journalism is being in the J-lab with others because they are all super positive. In her free time, she likes to watch Netflix and play softball. This year, Pellett started at second base at the State softball tournament and said she loved hearing her name announced before the game and when she was up to bat. Pellett also enjoyed the time at state when all 18 softball players fit in Kenzie Waters mom’s 12 seater bus and went to Dairy Queen. Her most memorable moment in high school so far was going to state for softball twice and being conference champions in softball.

Story by Braden Smith and Madison Botos