• January 21Good luck to the wrestling team at the Hawkeye 10 tournament on Saturday!

• January 21Girls' and boys' basketball are facing off against the Red Oak Tigers on Friday, boys at home and girls on the road.

• January 21Atlantic-CAM wrestling is hosting a double dual on Thursday, good luck!

Last Tournament for Trojan Volleyball

Trojans snap skid at six games.

Sophomore+Maycie+Waters+thinks+through+the+previous+play+at+the+Pink+Out+game+this+season.+

Last Tournament for Trojan Volleyball

Sophomore Maycie Waters thinks through the previous play at the Pink Out game this season.

Reagan Pellett

Reagan Pellett

Reagan Pellett

With the end of the season quickly approaching, the Trojan volleyball team trekked to Winterset on Saturday for their last tournament. With the hopes of adding some wins to their record, the Trojans left Atlantic in the early morning.

To start off tournament play, Atlantic was slated to compete against Greene County. Head to head, it looked like this match would be a close one, as both teams came into the match with many similarities. The Trojans were anxious to compete against an unfamiliar opponent.

The Trojans won the first set 21-14. Looking to snap their losing streak at six games, Atlantic dug in with the hopes of claiming a win for the first time in three weeks. However, the Rams weren’t ready to give up yet–the two teams battled throughout the second set. Atlantic came out on top, winning the second set–and the match–21-19.

Against Greene County, the Atlantic squad totaled 16 kills. Sophomore setter Haley Rasmussen assisted on every kill made in the match.

Hyped from the win against Greene County, the Trojans set out to compete against Treynor. Atlantic’s challenger came into the tournament ranked #8 in class 2A, and they have consistently been on the list all season. The two teams faced off in tournament play a month prior in Atlantic, where Treynor clinched the match win.

In the first set of the rematch, the Trojans put their best foot forward with solid serving whenever they had possession of the volleyball. Treynor was just too strong, and Atlantic lost the first set 21-13. The Cardinals continued to roll on in the following set, where they capitalized on Trojan errors. The Trojans dropped the second set 21-8.

In the match against Treynor, the Trojans put up an impressive 17 blocks, a season high for this group in a single match. Also, as a team, the Trojans did not miss a single serve throughout the match’s entirety.

The next opponent for Atlantic was Norwalk. The Trojans kept with their competitor in the first set, but failed to maintain the lead, and narrowly lost 21-18. The group looked to rebound and push the match to a necessary third set but were defeated by the Warriors 21-10 in the second set.

The Trojans notched six aces against Norwalk, with Rasmussen snagging four of those.

Through three matches, Atlantic had 38 digs, 20 blocks, and 11 aces. Senior Emma Joyce said “I feel like we did good things, but there are things we need to work on.”

The volleyball girls will travel to Carroll on Wednesday for Regionals, where they will play #1 ranked team Kuemper Catholic. The two teams met in conference play earlier in the season, where Kuemper snatched the straight set win against the Trojans.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....

Reagan Pellett, Editor

Reagan Pellett became involved in journalism because of her older friends and her interest in taking pictures. Pellet is a yearbook editor, so she takes...