• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Last Tournament for Trojan Volleyball

Trojans snap skid at six games.

Sophomore+Maycie+Waters+thinks+through+the+previous+play+at+the+Pink+Out+game+this+season.+
Sophomore Maycie Waters thinks through the previous play at the Pink Out game this season.

Reagan Pellett

Reagan Pellett

With the end of the season quickly approaching, the Trojan volleyball team trekked to Winterset on Saturday for their last tournament. With the hopes of adding some wins to their record, the Trojans left Atlantic in the early morning.

To start off tournament play, Atlantic was slated to compete against Greene County. Head to head, it looked like this match would be a close one, as both teams came into the match with many similarities. The Trojans were anxious to compete against an unfamiliar opponent.

The Trojans won the first set 21-14. Looking to snap their losing streak at six games, Atlantic dug in with the hopes of claiming a win for the first time in three weeks. However, the Rams weren’t ready to give up yet–the two teams battled throughout the second set. Atlantic came out on top, winning the second set–and the match–21-19.

Against Greene County, the Atlantic squad totaled 16 kills. Sophomore setter Haley Rasmussen assisted on every kill made in the match.

Hyped from the win against Greene County, the Trojans set out to compete against Treynor. Atlantic’s challenger came into the tournament ranked #8 in class 2A, and they have consistently been on the list all season. The two teams faced off in tournament play a month prior in Atlantic, where Treynor clinched the match win.

In the first set of the rematch, the Trojans put their best foot forward with solid serving whenever they had possession of the volleyball. Treynor was just too strong, and Atlantic lost the first set 21-13. The Cardinals continued to roll on in the following set, where they capitalized on Trojan errors. The Trojans dropped the second set 21-8.

In the match against Treynor, the Trojans put up an impressive 17 blocks, a season high for this group in a single match. Also, as a team, the Trojans did not miss a single serve throughout the match’s entirety.

The next opponent for Atlantic was Norwalk. The Trojans kept with their competitor in the first set, but failed to maintain the lead, and narrowly lost 21-18. The group looked to rebound and push the match to a necessary third set but were defeated by the Warriors 21-10 in the second set.

The Trojans notched six aces against Norwalk, with Rasmussen snagging four of those.

Through three matches, Atlantic had 38 digs, 20 blocks, and 11 aces. Senior Emma Joyce said “I feel like we did good things, but there are things we need to work on.”

The volleyball girls will travel to Carroll on Wednesday for Regionals, where they will play #1 ranked team Kuemper Catholic. The two teams met in conference play earlier in the season, where Kuemper snatched the straight set win against the Trojans.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

Reagan Pellett, Editor

Reagan Pellett became involved in journalism because of her older friends and her interest in taking pictures. Pellet is a yearbook editor, so she takes pictures for and designs pages in the yearbook. Pellett’s favorite part of journalism is being in the J-lab with others because they are all super positive. In her free time, she likes to watch Netflix and play softball. This year, Pellett started at second base at the State softball tournament and said she loved hearing her name announced before the game and when she was up to bat. Pellett also enjoyed the time at state when all 18 softball players fit in Kenzie Waters mom’s 12 seater bus and went to Dairy Queen. Her most memorable moment in high school so far was going to state for softball twice and being conference champions in softball.

Story by Braden Smith and Madison Botos