• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Last Home Game for Trojan Volleyball

The last home game recognized Breast Cancer Awareness Month, as well as Senior Night.

The JV team--decked out in pink--sets the ball up against conference opponent Denison-Schleswig.

Reagan Pellett

Reagan Pellett

Pink flooded the stands at Tuesday night’s volleyball game against Denison-Schleswig, as it was the annual Breast Cancer Awareness game. The Atlantic girls wore pink jerseys to pay tribute. Spectators doned pink attire as well.

The JV squad took the court first against Denison-Schleswig. The two teams had met at Atlantic’s home tournament, in which the Monarchs walked away with the win. The Monarchs took the lead in the opening set, and maintained it, winning 25-18.

At the beginning of the second set, the Atlantic JV girls were in the lead, with Denison-Schleswig right at their heels. The Monarchs couldn’t catch up until 15-15, which was the first tie of the game. However, a kill kept the Trojans in front at 16-15. Two mishits by the Trojans gave Denison-Schleswig their first lead in the set. After tying it back up at 17-17, the Monarchs strung points together and grabbed the win 25-17.

Through two sets, the JV team had nine kills and four aces. Junior Emma Templeton claimed three of the four. Serving was a strong point for Atlantic, as they went 35 for 36 from behind the service line.

After the JV match, AHS recognized the three senior volleyball players–Taylor Hansen, Emma Joyce, and Sadie Welter–for their efforts in playing the game as part of Senior Night. The girls walked with their parents as the audience applauded their hard work.

Senior Night also took place at the Trojan’s last home volleyball game. “It was pretty nerve-racking in the beginning and knowing it was my last time playing,” Hansen said about playing volleyball in front of the home crowd one last time. Some of the girls shed tears as they accepted this as one of their lasts in their high school career.

Emotions aside, the Trojans got ready to work against the Monarchs. This match looked like the most promising win for the Trojans, as Denison-Schleswig was right above Atlantic in the conference standings. The matchup started off rocky for the Trojans, who lost the first set 25-14. However, the next two sets were close, with the two teams always neck and neck. The Trojan’s serving game was solid, and helped their possessions go smoothly. However, the Monarchs outhit the Trojans and took the next two sets 25-21 and 25-19.

Against Denison-Schleswig, the Trojans notched 24 digs and 19 kills. Joyce had four kills–the highest number she has snagged in a single match all season. Hansen also contributed a kill on the stat sheet. Finally, Welter continued her usual superb serving style, as she went 7 for 7 on the night.

The Trojans have two more conference challengers to take on–Red Oak and Shenandoah. The three teams will brawl it out on Tuesday, in Shenandoah.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

Reagan Pellett, Editor

Reagan Pellett became involved in journalism because of her older friends and her interest in taking pictures. Pellet is a yearbook editor, so she takes pictures for and designs pages in the yearbook. Pellett’s favorite part of journalism is being in the J-lab with others because they are all super positive. In her free time, she likes to watch Netflix and play softball. This year, Pellett started at second base at the State softball tournament and said she loved hearing her name announced before the game and when she was up to bat. Pellett also enjoyed the time at state when all 18 softball players fit in Kenzie Waters mom’s 12 seater bus and went to Dairy Queen. Her most memorable moment in high school so far was going to state for softball twice and being conference champions in softball.

Story by Braden Smith and Madison Botos