• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Knights Top Trojans

The+JV+girls+huddle+up+at+the+tournament+held+at+Kuemper+Catholic+earlier+this+season.+
The JV girls huddle up at the tournament held at Kuemper Catholic earlier this season.

McKenzie Waters

McKenzie Waters

The Trojans traveled to Carroll to compete against the Kuemper Catholic Knights on Thursday, in one of the toughest matches the group would have this season. The Knights have been ranked 1st in class 3A every week. Coming into the match, Kuemper only had one loss on their record–a five set marathon to conference challenger St. Albert. The Trojans came off two straight-set conferences losses. The two teams had not met until this point in the season.

The JV squad took the court first. After two quick sets, the Trojans claimed the loss.

After JV, the varsity teams suited up. Right off the bat, Kuemper came out and proved why they are ranked number one, as they crushed the Trojans 25-6 in the first set. Kuemper continued to get hits to the floor against the Trojans.

Following the first set defeat, Atlantic rebounded and competed with the Knights. They were able to slate some kills on the stat sheet. Still, the team couldn’t make up enough points to catch up with Kuemper, and they lost the second set 25-17.

The Trojans pushed on in the third set and gave a good performance. However, Kuemper strung many points together, and pulled away with the win 25-14.

In the Kuemper match, the Trojans experimented with a new rotation. With this change, sophomore Caroline Pellett was not able to serve. Pellett has went 72 for 88 from behind the line and has 12 aces this season.

Against the Knights, the Trojan’s usually strong service game had many flaws. The group went 20 for 38, and did not claim an ace the entire night. However, the team had 12 kills, 12 digs, and four blocks.

The next opponent for the Trojans is Denison-Schleswig. The two teams will face off at AHS on Tuesday. This match will be the Trojan’s last home game of the season.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

McKenzie Waters, Editor

Each week, McKenzie Waters and the ad team set out to create a funny 30-second video to be published on Eye of the Needle (EON). Businesses in town can buy an ad for $25. Waters said, “I love to make ads because it challenges me every week because I have a deadline and I get to work with amazing people.” She joined journalism because she heard about it from upperclassmen and the stories about “all of their fun times interested me.” Waters loves how journalism is student-driven with the freedom for them to create their own ideas. There are three different classes you can take for journalism: yearbook, broadcasting or AHSneedle. Waters is in the broadcasting class so she helps with EON and she enjoys watching it because of the comical content, like Noah Rutherford’s videos. “They’re always funny,” Waters said. If she could go anywhere in the world, Waters would go somewhere tropical such as the Bahamas or the Virgin Islands. She also recommends that students try journalism.

Story by Maycie Waters and Bodie Johnson