• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Filed under School News, Showcase

Media Center Status Yet to Be Determined

After the retirement of former librarian Ginger Bechtold, the media center situation has been under consideration.

This school year there has been speculation as to what is going on with the AHS media center. As of today, another librarian has not been hired and there will not be any more books purchased for the media center.

According to the Iowa Department of Education, a professionally trained librarian plays a very large and essential role in a student’s academic success. In 2006, the Iowa Department of Education established “a requirement that each school district in Iowa employ a qualified teacher librarian and have in place an articulated, sequential K-12 library program.”

If there is not someone in the media center, AHS principal Heather McKay said to send printing to the office or ask for the media center to be unlocked if it has already been sent there. According to McKay, they have to review how the space is being used before they do anything with it. “I do not like the current state of the library because it limits usage with certain students who have strict schedules,” said junior Hana Holtz.

Superintendent Steve Barber said, “I think we’re at a time where we need to reflect on how the media center plays on the education system.” Deb Burton, an 8th-grade literacy teacher, is working towards becoming a trained teacher librarian. Her focus will be more on the middle school than the high school as she will spend most of her time there.

Junior Chloe Davis said she thinks the library should always be staffed so students can check out books or make-up tests. If books are needed to be checked out, Mrs. Schlake will be in the media center during first period and Ms. Kirchoff will be there during the rest of the morning class periods. During fifth period, Mrs. Franken will be available. However, junior Erin Barrick said, “I feel like people don’t use the library to check out books. Libraries are becoming obsolete.”

Other districts in the conference have similar situations. For example, none of the Harlan schools have librarians and other school districts have just one.

Grace Clay, Editor

A new school year also means another year of writing AHSneedle stories for editor Grace Clay. Now a junior in high school, Clay enjoys writing stories for the website and says it’s “just really fun.” She enjoys the environment that her fellow editors in journalism provide. “The conversations we have are pretty great,” Clay said. Another thing she likes is the freedom she has when writing. Other than writing the “newsy stuff,” she has also been able to voice her opinion on reviews. She created her favorite piece of work her sophomore year: a review of a concert from a band called “The Wrecks.” Her future plans are undecided, as her career choices have been “all over the place.” She said, “from being a forensic scientist to a movie director, it changes every day.” Clay has four dogs, Scooter, Myah, Winchester and Duke, and two cats, Gizmo and Rigby, whom she loves very much. She also loves her favorite food, lasagna, and said that she “couldn’t live without it.”

Story by Da’Jai Wesson