• December 4Good luck to the boys' swim team this Saturday at Marshalltown!

• December 4The Council Bluffs Classic is this weekend. Good luck to the wrestlers competing!

• December 4Good luck to the boys' and girls' basketball teams on Friday at Creston!

• December 4The boys' swim team is heading up to Sioux City on Thursday. Good luck!

Marching Band is Back in Full Swing

Hard work and dedication comes from all members of the band to put together a good show.

ON+MY+COUNT+-+Members+of+the+Atlantic+Trojan+Guard+practice+on+the+football+field.+

Marching Band is Back in Full Swing

ON MY COUNT - Members of the Atlantic Trojan Guard practice on the football field.

Anastasia Muell, Editor

The Trojan Guard, as the marching band has been referred to since the ‘80s, has started its school season with two performances before and at halftime of home football games. The Trojan Guard has six performances left in the season: three games, the Homecoming parade, the Clarinda Band Jamboree and the Fireman’s parade.

Seventy-three students stand on the field up to five days a week practicing the performances before and during first period. However, this year, a new addition has been added to the band. Along with the eleven main instrument groups in the marching band, a color guard has been re-added. This is the first time in six years students have had the option to participate in color guard. Band director Jarrod O’Donnell said, “There was just a lack of interest from the student body. It was better to have no color guard than four members.”

O’Donnell said he likes seeing the hard work that gets put in during the week and then shown in a performance as well as the “spirit” that fills the Trojan Bowl during the games. “The student section is a really good part of the football games, they’re supportive of the team, as well as the cheerleaders and band,” O’Donnell said, “I just like the atmosphere. There’s a nice electricity that runs through and just gets the kids going.”

According to O’Donnell, the best thing about band, marching and concert, is that students “learn to appreciate being patient.” He said, “When we first start a new piece of music, it’s rough, and when you finally get to the concert, it’s like ‘oh, that’s what that’s supposed to sound like.’” Like other activities, it can sometimes be considered a “functional family” and sometimes a “dysfunctional family,” depending on the mood of the day.

With growing numbers, there have been challenges the group has faced, such as how to fit into the band room and how to organize on the field. The band has increased in size almost 20 percent from last year’s 62 members.* “This is a great group of kids to take on these challenges, always with a positive attitude,” O’Donnell said.

O’Donnell is also looking forward to the classic rock show because there is a song he has been wanting to do for five to ten years. “This is the right group for it,” he said. The last show will be the Greatest Showman and he thinks it will “send the season out on a good note.”

*correction 9.22.18

Anastasia Muell, Editor

With the aspiration of reaching her audience and providing them with accurate and engaging information, Anastasia Muell acts as an editor of AHSneedle,...