• November 14Good luck to the girls' basketball team at the Cyclone Jamboree on Thursday!

• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

First Home Dual for Trojan Volleyball

Freshmen+Lexie+Trotter+and+Reagan+Leonard+go+up+for+the+block+against+Clarinda+on+Monday+night.+
Freshmen Lexie Trotter and Reagan Leonard go up for the block against Clarinda on Monday night.

Kayla Mauk

Kayla Mauk

The Atlantic Trojans volleyball team took the court on Monday with the hopes of taking home a conference win. The group played the Clarinda Cardinals in their first home dual.

Clarinda came to town with a record of 4-7, which includes two conference wins and two conference losses. The Trojans entered the match 6-14, as they have played in many tournaments against scrappy schools. Atlantic hoped to use their experience together to best Clarinda and take the W.

To kick off the night, the JV squad attempted to avenge their loss to the Cardinals from their previous meeting. The Trojans were right behind the Cardinals, but couldn’t quite catch up in the first set. Then, freshman Aspen Niklasen got behind the line to serve. She hit four successful serves, and the Trojan team was right behind her. The group earned five straight points and put themselves in the lead at 18-16, and Clarinda on the defense. This sudden shift in momentum caused Clarinda to call a timeout. After the timeout, Niklasen continued to serve, and she hit two more solid serves before Clarinda rallied back and earned their first point in eight possessions.

Though the Trojans had regained the lead, the Cardinals came out on top in the first set, 25-23. The JV team attempted to push the match to a necessary third set, but came up short, as they lost the second set 25-19.

The JV girls totaled nine kills through two sets, with sophomore Maycie Waters leading the pack with four. Also, the team had four aces, three of which belonged to junior Emma Templeton.

After JV, the varsity team suited up to compete with Clarinda. The girls started the first set off strong, but a few communication errors between teammates resulted in Atlantic dropping the first set 25-14. During the second set, the Trojans were always with Clarinda. The team switched from offense to defense with fluidity. The group played well but dropped the second set 25-19. In the third set, Atlantic played hard with successful hitting. Atlantic tried to nudge the match to another set. The Trojans were unsuccessful and dropped the set 25-16.

Through the three set match, both the Trojans’ offense and defense had strength. On the offensive, the Trojans had 18 kills and four aces. As for defense, the team had four blocks and an impressive 44 digs. Almost every girl on the team kept the ball in play with a dig, while libero Kenzie Waters led the group with 12.

The team will travel to Harlan on Thursday. Currently, Harlan is the 6th best team in the Hawkeye 10 conference.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said. According to Holtz, she didn’t want to do journalism at first but journalism advisor Alison Berryhill convinced her to do it. Holtz said, “I liked it both semesters and decided to just keep doing it.” She writes stories about school activities and events and her favorite part about the class is the people in it. The yearbook story she wrote with classmate Aly Brockob was her favorite story she has published to date. In her free time, Holtz likes to play tennis, watch TV and Netflix–the “usual stuff.” She also likes to cheer on the Chicago Cubs, her favorite professional sports team.

Story by Colin Mullenix and Payton Fewson

Kayla Mauk, Journalism Production Student

Atlantic High School sophomore Kayla Mauk, aka Kmauk4213, is a Journalism Production student. She has been involved in Student Council, AHS fuel, volleyball, wrestling managing, and soccer. Mauk is a member of the AHS Dance Team, and dances at Dance Atlantic.  “In my freetime, I love hanging out with my friends; especially Kylie Neal.” Mauk has a family of six including her dog, Bailey, her two older brothers, Jordan and Tanner, and her parents, Jeff and Stacey. Her favorite color is purple and the movie you would most likely find her watching is The Breakfast Club because it’s such an “inspiring movie.” Mauk wants to attend college to become a psychiatric nurse after high school. Written by Kylie Neal