Getting to Know the Class of 2018: Lexington Grooms

Senior Spotlight featuring Lexington Grooms

Dylan Litty

“It’s a girl.” Those were the three words that changed Lexington Grooms’s life. Her daughter, Sadie, was born on Nov. 13, 2015. “Having a child, I had to change almost my whole life for her,” Grooms said. In fact, she said her daughter is the person who has had the most impact on her. “She makes me a better person,” Grooms said.

While enjoying her time in high school, Grooms has been involved in many activities including band, choir, show choir, cheerleading and wrestling cheerleading. Her instrument in band is the flute. In her free time, Grooms enjoys “playing with Sadie” and riding horses. A place she likes to relax is “on horseback.”

Grooms’s future plans are to attend Iowa State University to study veterinary science. This has been a life goal of hers, and she said, “I have wanted to (be a veterinarian) since I was 3 years old, and I love animals.”

Her siblings Garret, Tessa and Nellie have all attended Atlantic High School as well. Garret graduated as part of the class of 2017 and her twin sisters are currently in the freshman class (2021). Her parents are Allen and Cerree Grooms.

Enjoying her time as a high-schooler is a favorite memory of hers, and one of the achievements Grooms is most proud of is “having a child and still going to high school and graduating.”