• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Trojan Track Runs Well at Trojan Relays

On Monday, April 30, the girls’ and boys’ track teams competed at home for the Trojan Relays. The boys won with 144 points and the girls placed 2nd with 95 points.

Trojan Track & Field seniors were honored last night.  There was a total of 15 seniors being honored, seven boys and eight girls.

The boys won several events last night coming off an impressive weekend at the Drake Relays.  Senior Gratt Reed won the 400m hurdles and the 110m hurdles. Junior Chase Mullenix won the 800m with a time of 2:00, senior Jaxson Eden finished the 1600m in 4:50, placing first and sophomore Spencer Ray won high jump with a hight of 5-10. The duo of junior Jalen Petersen and sophomore Bradley Dennis went 1-2 in the 3200m.  The boys were also able to earn first-place finishes in the 4×200, 4×800, Sprint Medley, and Distance Medley.

The girls also turned in a good night. Freshman Taylor McCreedy won the 1500m with a time of 5:21 and also placed first in the 3000m, finishing with a time of 11:54. The 4x200m relay consisting of Jessica Hartwig, Alyssa Derby, Pluma Pross and Haley Rasmussen placed first as well, running a time of 1:52.

Both teams are back in action Thursday night at the Hawkeye 10 conference meet in Harlan.

About the Writers
Dillon Sonntag, Editor

Senior Dillon Sonntag has been a part of the journalism team as an editor for three years. Most of these stories consist of sporting activities. Sonntag said his favorite story he’s  written so far is “Meet the Freshman Basketball Team” when he was a sophomore. He enjoys journalism because of the “freedom to do whatever you want.”

Sonntag said he looks up to 2017 AHS graduate Kyle Nelson because he is “a positive role model, and he is always trying to make me a better person.” He also likes fellow senior Ben Renaud, who he claims to be his best friend. If Renaud or any of Sonntag’s friends had to describe him, Sonntag believes they would say an athletic and that he’s an “overall good guy to be around.” If he had to describe himself though, he would say, “I’m responsible and trustworthy.”

Sonntag is currently involved in track, football, and journalism. When not participating in extracurricular activities, he pictures a perfect afternoon as “sitting at home watching college football,” preferably the Iowa Hawkeyes. Although he prefers sitting at home watching sports, Sonntag still loves participating in them, saying, “I would never give up my athleticism.” Along with his athletics, he would never want to give up his bed.

If there was one food he had to eat for an entire year, it would be steak. Steak isn’t the only food he likes though. “Over the summer I baked some cookies,” Sonntag said. Other than cooking, another talent Sonntag wishes he could acquire is to “read people’s minds.”

Sonntag said, “My wallpaper (on phone) is a photo of me standing on the football field. It shows patriotism because of the flag in the background, and inspiring because of the angle and lighting it’s taken at. It’s a really cool pic.” The photo was taken by editor Taylor Hansen. One thing many people don’t know about Sonntag though is that “in 6th grade, my duplex got smoked out by my neighbor’s house fire.”

Profile written by: Tyler Moen and Emma Templeton

John McConkey, JP Student

John McConkey is an AHS senior and is an editor for broadcasting in journalism this year. McConkey said, “I basically make cool videos with Chase.” His favorite project he has made in journalism was “The game show video” with 3 contestants giving them hints on a person in the high school and see if they know who they were. McConkey enjoys the most about journalism is using his ideas to make something everyone sees and enjoys.

Besides journalism, McConkey participates in football, wrestling and National Honors Society. McConkey also enjoys making people laugh, as he said he’s “Good for yuks.” Something he would never change about himself is his ability to make people laugh, and he also describes himself as determined and funny.

One thing I would never give away is “My Trojan Pride” said McConkey. McConkey looks up to Coach Duff and Coach Mcdermott, and said they are both “outstanding” individuals. “It’s a picture of me wrestling,” said McConkey about his lock screen on his phone. McConkey says his mom knows him best. He also said that his basement is a calm place he likes to go to. “Chillin with the boys and playing madden or 2k,” would be McConkey’s ideal relaxing afternoon. McConkey says one talent he would like to gain without effort would be to play a guitar “It would be a cool talent to have.”

Profile written by: Jackson Mullin and Justin Binios