• April 11TOLD BY THE BLACK AND GOLD PODCAST IS LIVE ON SOUNDLCOUD

• April 3Good luck to boys golf at Fox Run on Thursday!

• April 3Good luck to girls tennis on Thursday!

Filed under Band, School News, Showcase

The Cost of Band Explained

The price of music in AHS

THE SOUND OF MUSIC- The band program has a wide budget. They receive money from the general fund, as well as from the Booster Club and the ACSD Foundation. The money is used to repair and buy new instruments.

In the 2016-17 school year the Atlantic High School band program spent $4081.54 from the general fund, along with $5000 from the Booster Club and a $5000 match from the ACSD Foundation.     

In the band room there are many instruments ranging from small to large. No matter the size, no instrument is cheap. Band director Jarrod O’Donnell estimated the worth of the band instruments at anywhere from $150,000 to 250,000. The most highly priced instrument is the tuba, which costs from $8,000 to 9,000 per tuba.

If a student damages an instrument due to some wear and tear over the year, the school will cover the cost of repairs. The only exception is if the student drops or maliciously harms the instrument, in which case the student is responsible for the repair cost.

The band has a budget to follow. When they are in need of something, Mr.O’Donnell will submit a request for supply and give it to the office. Depending on what the request was determines if it goes to Mrs.McKay for educational purposes or Mr. Alexander for activity purposes to be approved.”

— Sarah Sheeder

The Director of Finance for the district, Sarah Sheeder, said, “The band has a budget to follow. When they are in need of something, Mr.O’Donnell will submit a request for supply and give it to the office. Depending on what the request was determines if it goes to Mrs.McKay for educational purposes or Mr. Alexander for activity purposes to be approved.”

After the request has been approved, it  then goes to Sheeder to see if there is enough money in the budget to spend on the item. O’Donnell said that the next big expense is an all new drum line that will be used next year for the marching band season.

The instruments “need repair but it’s mostly the students’ fault,” senior Josh McLean said about instruments’ maintenance. Charity Williams, also a senior, said the band’s budget is “large enough, we can buy the items we need.”

The school used to charge an instrument rental fee. Senior Riley Seufert said there shouldn’t be a rental fee unless it’s returned “in a worse condition than before.”