Cross Country Starts Season Off Strong at Glenwood

Junior+Jaylen+Petersen+finished+first+at+time+trials+last+week.+Petersen+has+been+running+cross+country+for+three+years.+

Junior Jaylen Petersen finished first at time trials last week. Petersen has been running cross country for three years.

Noah Bruckner, Sports Editor

The Atlantic high school varsity boys’ and girls’ cross country teams traveled to Glenwood last Saturday, Aug. 26, for a co-ed meet.

In the first meet of the year on the boys’ side, junior Jaylen Petersen finished 2nd overall with a time of 17:53.43. Petersen was the only runner for the boys that placed in the top 10. Senior Cale Pellett wasn’t far out and placed 15th with a time of 18:57.02. Sophomore Evan Brummer finished 30th with a time of 19:54.90 and sophomore Aybren Moore finished the race in 38th place with a time of 20:09.31. Junior Nathan Brockman finished with a time of 20:18.78 and that placed him in 43rd for the boys’ first meet of the year.

For the girls, freshman Kennedy Goergen started her high school career off strong and placed 4th with a time of 20:47.40. Junior Ashley Wendt finished in the top 10 also, placing 7th with a ending time of 21:19.99 and junior Karsyn Rush wasn’t too far back and finished 14th with a time of 21:43.37. Freshman Madisen Botos finished 26th recording a time of 22:25.96 and sophomore Abby Altman completed the course right behind her, finishing 29th with a time of 22:45.59.

The boys’ and girls’ varsity teams will race next Tuesday, Sept. 5, at Clarinda High school starting with girls at 5 p.m. and the boys following at 5:30 p.m.