• April 11TOLD BY THE BLACK AND GOLD PODCAST IS LIVE ON SOUNDLCOUD

• April 3Good luck to boys golf at Fox Run on Thursday!

• April 3Good luck to girls tennis on Thursday!

Work It, Baby

High school students weigh the benefits of working while in school.

Kole Hansen works as a lifeguard at the Nishna Valley Family YMCA

Many students at Atlantic High School have jobs, but there are certain federal rules and restrictions business have to follow when hiring high schoolers.

Twenty-two percent of high school school students worked part-time jobs in 2014 according to a high school student job blog. Research has shown that while working during in high school can be challenging for some students, it gives them the necessary skills they need to for their future. One of those skills is time management, which most students don’t learn until they are in college.

According to the article posted on the Concordia University site, “Some students have to do all their homework for the coming week on the weekend because they are involved in a lot of extracurricular activities and then have to go work at a job. Some people say that these people are over committing themselves. Especially those that work more than 15-20 hours a week see a decrease in their academic performance. Exports have said that teens should not exceed the amount of hours at their job and should not spend their time sleeping or studying while at work.”

“The federal rules and restrictions for high schoolers working are teens 14-15 can work in retail, food service, and lifeguarding. Other rules for this age group include three hours or less on school nights, 18 hours or less per week when school is in session, Hours must be after 7 a.m. and before 7 p.m. on all day except from June 1- Labor Day.”

“Students that are 16 and 17 can work unlimited hours but only in job that are declared as non hazardous by the Secretary of Labor. Once a student turns 18 they are allowed to work anywhere and are not limited to certain hours.”

Teens over 16 have the most responsibility to balance work and school work because they are allowed to work unlimited hours. The Concordia University recommends that parents of students ages 16-18 should keep a close watch on their child’s schedules to make sure that they don’t late hours.

High Schoolers having jobs can help them figure out what they want to when they graduate.

“While working, high schoolers can learn to develop relationships with local service providers. It also helps students set up a schedule to make sure they have enough time for homework and other studies as well as work. This can also teach teens to keep a daily planner or schedule to avoid over commitment.”

“Working at a safe and legal job during high school can have many benefits but students just need to make sure they have enough time for their academics.”

Kole Hansen Works as a lifeguard at the Nishna Valley Family YMCA

Junior Kole Hansen works as a YMCA lifeguard. He typically works 5-6 days a week and he normally works 3-4 hours a day. He said lifeguarding is really fun and it is not boring. “I think (my parents) like it because I don’t have to ask them for money anymore,” said Hansen. “I have to take chemicals to see if they are at the right levels and then open the doors and when the kids come in scan the pool and make sure no one is drowning and when my shift is done clean some stuff and do that until I get off work,” Hansen said about a typical work day.