Trojan Track RECAP @ Glenwood

The Trojan boys earned a second place finish Monday in Glenwood with 130.5 points.

Junior Gratt Reed takes his first steps out of the blocks while running the 100 Meter Dash at Denison.

Cody Buchman, Sports Editor

Monday night the Trojan boys track team traveled to Glenwood for the Boys Ram Relays meet. The meet consisted of eight teams including Abraham Lincoln, Clarinda, Thomas Jefferson, Glenwood, Harlan, Lewis Central and Red Oak.

Glenwood won the team title on their home track with 189.00 points. Atlantic finished in second place with 130.5 points and rounding out the top three was Harlan scoring 115.5.

4th Thomas Jefferson – 101

5th Lewis Central – 94.5

6th Clarinda – 44

7th Abraham Lincoln – 30.5

8th Red Oak – 29

“Gratt Reed won the 110 Highs and 400 Lows for Atlantic. Reed was clocked in a seasons best 14.73 in the Highs and a season PR of 55.21 in the Lows. Phoenix Shadden earned the gold in the 3200 meters in a time of 10:18.06. Jaxon Eden cruised the track in 4:52.89 to win 1600.” – http://965ksom.com/glenwood-wins-team-title-on-home-track-atlantic-second/

Atlantic Junior Gratt Reed earned a second place finish in the 100 Meter Dash with a time of 11.38. Freshman Bradley Dennis earned a second place silver medal in the open 800. Dennis ran a time of 2:13.38 to earn the silver medal.

Two Trojan runners finished top three in the 1600 Meter Run. Junior Jaxson Eden ran 4:52.89 while senior Phoenix Shadden ran 4:54.42. The two runners earned first and third places respectively.

Shadden and Dennis again earned medals in the 3200 Meter Run. Shadden ran the two-mile run in a time of 10:18.06 while Dennis ran 10:40.38. Shadden earned the gold medal while Dennis earned silver. Reed again earned another medal in the 110 Meter Hurdles. Reed’s time of 14.73 was good enough for first place.

In the 400 Meter Hurdles Reed earned yet another first place finish with a time of 55.21. In the 4×100 Meter Relay the Atlantic ‘A’ team consisting of junior Jayden Barnwell, Reed, Dillon Sonntag and freshman Tyler Moen earned a second place finish. The team ran 46.36 good enough for a silver medal.

Another Atlantic relay team earned a top three finish which was the 4×400 Meter Relay event. The Trojans ran a team time of 3:37.13 good enough for third place. The relay consisted of junior Zeke Whetstone, sophomore Zade Niklasen and juniors Ethan Halterman and Sonntag.

The 800 Sprint Medley event qualified another Atlantic team in the top three. The Trojans ran their second fastest time of the year, nearly beating the 1:40.29 time they put up to win a gold medal at Denison. With a 1:40.59 time Atlantic earned a bronze medal with a team consisting of Barnwell, Niklasen, Sonntag and Whetstone.In the 1600 Medley Relay Sonntag, senior Drake Roller, Halterman and Shadden ran a team time of 3:54.87 to win a silver medal while also running in lane 8.

The last Atlantic relay team to finish top three Monday night was the 4×100 Meter Shuttle Hurdle team. The team consisted of Roller, junior Blake Pelzer, senior Cody Buchman and Shadden. The team earned third place with a team time of 1:08.31 nearly beating Harlan who posted a 1:08.08 time.

To round out the night in the field events, junior Austin Alexander won third place in the high jump with a height of 5-04.00.