Results for Solo and Ensemble

Band and Choir students participated in the solo and ensemble contest on Saturday.

Charity Williams

Sarah Schorle
DAYDREAMING-Senior Kylee Champlin returns from solo and ensemble contest. Champlin was a part of the Chamber choir, which received a one rating. The contest was held in Harlan.

On Saturday, the band and vocal students of AHS travelled to Harlan to participate in the Solo and Ensemble festival to perform their solos, duets, trios, quartets or groups. Each student will receive either a one, two or three rating depending on how well they do.

There were 16 students in total who performed vocal pieces at the festival. Three received a one rating, five were awarded with a two and one received a three. The chamber choir was awarded a one rating for their performance.

Junior Aaron Rothfusz was one of the two students who received a one rating for their vocal solo. Rothfusz performed two solos, Caro Mio Ben” by Giuseppe Giordani and “The Vagabond” by Vaughan Williams. “I felt quite prepared for this set of solos, and was quite content with my performance.”

Approximately 32 students from the Atlantic band went to Harlan and participated in the Solo and Ensemble festival. 27 of those students were awarded with a one rating for their performed pieces.
One student was the best of center and that was senior, Nadia Somers. Somers was in 12 events and 8 of them received a one rating. Two examples of the performances she was in were, the horn choir and a duet with Sam Coder that received a perfect score. Somers also performed a french horn solo that was best of center called, “Morceau de Concert.” She will perform her solo again at Ames for a festival for all the students who got best of center. Somers also has a chance to receive a scholarship because of her hard work and talent because all seniors who received a best of center can apply for a scholarship that will go financially aid their college future. “ I didn’t expect to get best of center so I was happy.”