Boy’s Basketball Battles Lewis Central in Overtime

Jena Brosam, Editor In Chief

Last Friday, Jan. 13, the Trojans took on the second ranked conference team, Lewis Central, at home.

In the first quarter, the Titans went on a 6-0 run challenging the Trojans on offense and defense.

By the end of the quarter junior Austin Alexander shot for three, closing the gap so the Trojans only trailed 13-14.

In the second quarter, senior Garrett Franken shot free throws to tie the game for the first time all night.

At the half LC only led 24-23 after a missed shot at the buzzer.

Alexander led the team with 14 points.

In the third the teams went back and forth tying the game, or creating a lead by only a few points. By the end of the quarter the Titans were ahead 45-43.

Once fourth quarter came around the Trojans were fighting for the lead the entire eight minutes. The team took the lead a few times throughout the quarter, playing their hardest in the end when they needed to the most.

Franken tied the game with a minute left, 56-56. LC had possession of the ball, leaving it up to the Trojans’ defense to put the game into overtime.

LC stalled until the last few seconds of the game. Lewis Central’s Chad Moran took the shot, and missed, sending the game into overtime.

The Trojans got the first possession of the game in overtime.

Franken hit a three a minute into overtime, now leading the Titans 59-56.

Both teams scored back to back leaving the crowd on their feet watching to see how the game was going to play out.

Franken was fouled, and shot two free throws making them both. The Trojans took the lead 63-62 with 50 seconds left.

The Trojans fouled the Titans forcing them to shoot, and taking back the lead 66-63.

To get possession back with only 20 seconds left, Franken was forced to foul for the fifth time.

The opportunity to shoot a last second shot to tie the game was given to sophomore Chase Mullenix, but was missed.

After a chaotic scramble, Lewis Central scored again, ending the game 69-63.

Head coach Alan Jenkins said, “We played extremely hard, we executed our defensive game plan with a lot of discipline. Unfortunately we ended up one play short.  I am proud of the progress we have made in terms of toughness and physicality in the game.  I think this team has its best days ahead of them.”

The Trojans next game is Friday, Jan. 20, against Clarinda.