• April 23Trojan Diner is this Friday.

• April 23Boys' soccer hosts two games this week, on Thursday and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23The Drake Relays start on Thursday. The girls' and boys' teams have sent representatives to compete. Good luck!

• April 23Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Tuesday and Friday, as they take on St. Albert and Harlan.

• April 23Girls' tennis has three meets this week, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' golf has two home meets this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' tennis has duals on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Good luck!

• April 22The concert band will be holding their annual Patty Hannon concert on Sunday in the auditorium.

• April 22The speech and debate team is hosting a showcase on Saturday in the commons and auditorium.

Number of Female Wrestlers Is Up Across the State

AHS digs deep Into the world of wrestling

FACE+TO+FACE+-+Junior+Julia+Smith+of+Griswold+Iowa+gets+ready+to+start+her+wrestling+match.+Smith+had+a+record+of+2-11.+This+was+her+first+year+participating+in+wrestling.+

FACE TO FACE - Junior Julia Smith of Griswold Iowa gets ready to start her wrestling match. Smith had a record of 2-11. This was her first year participating in wrestling.

“Treat (girl wrestlers) like it’s anyone else. Don’t be scared to do what you need to do,” Atlantic High School assistant wrestling coach Tucker Weber said. Boys play football, girls play volleyball. Boys wrestle, but do girls wrestle?

Wrestling numbers for Iowa high school females have increased this season. In the 2016-2017 season there are 91 female wrestlers out, according to https://iawrestle.com/. Those numbers have gone up 38% from last year.

Junior Julia Smith from Griswold High School said she wanted to try something different. Smith participated in wrestling cheer before going out for wrestling. “I was on the edge about going out, but I wanted to push myself,” Smith said. Smith said she believes everyone has been very supportive of her.

On June 23 of 1972 Title IX was created. This law states “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” By this law, public schools  must provide “equal athletic opportunity” to all students.

Sophomore 126-pound wrestler Chase McLaren said he does not like to wrestle girls because it is “awkward and you don’t know where to grab them.” McLaren mentioned that he has wrestled females six times and won all six matches.

Coach Weber said, “It can be a toll on a kid. If he loses to a girl, he won’t want to continue because it will hurt his confidence.” Weber said that he still coaches his boys the same because they are in the same sport as you are.

Head coach Tim Duff also said, “We don’t give any special advice to our athletes when wrestling a female. It is still just a match and you have to go out and try to hit your holds.”

Back in 2011 a 16-year-old from Iowa refused to wrestle a 14-year-old during the state wresting tournament. Joel Northrup forfeited to Cassy Herkelman because he “does not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner.” Northrup was ranked fifth in the state of Iowa. After losing a match he was eliminated from the tournament.

We will coach any athlete that wants to listen and work hard, and hopefully help them become a better wrestler,” Coach Duff said.

FACE TO FACE – Junior Julia Smith of Griswold, Iowa gets ready to start her wrestling match. Smith had a record of 2-11. This was her first year participating in wrestling. Picture is used with permission by Julia Smith.

About the Writers
Taylor Hansen, Yearbook Editor

Atlantic High School junior Taylor Hansen is a yearbook editor on the Journalism team. “I really enjoy the people and the environment. I also love the...

Shadman Ornob, JP Student

Junior journalism production student Shadman Ornob enjoys taking pictures for the Needle and looks forward to writing more stories during his time here...