Boy’s Basketball Defeats St. Albert Falcons

Jena Brosam, Editor In Chief

Last Friday, Dec. 2, the boys’ basketball team took on the 2015-16 class 1A state runner-up team, St. Albert at home. The Trojans moved up to 2-0 this season with a 66-49 defeat against the Falcons.

Defense on both ends was strong in the first minutes of the game. Atlantic was first on the scoreboard with an easy layup by senior Garrett Franken. The countdown to Franken’s 1,000 career points began.

At the end of the first quarter Atlantic led the Falcons 19-11, and Franken was just five points away.

Going into the second Franken scored early extending the lead to 11, putting him two points away. Not long after Franken scored again, following in his brother (Dalton Franken’s) footsteps, scoring 1,000 points.

By halftime, the Trojan team was ahead 31-25. Franken led the Trojans with 12 points.

Atlantic came out of the locker room strong, and played that way the entire third quarter, leading the Falcons 45-36.

Going into the fourth, sophomore Chase Mullenix launched a lengthy three pointer progressing the lead to 48-36.

By the end of the night, the Trojans had defeated the Falcons 66-49. Franken was the leading scorer with 22 points, Mullenix and junior Austin Alexander were to follow with 16 and 14 points.

Franken said, “This was a very good win for us. St. Albert is one of the hardest working teams in the conference, and to beat them by 17 is a huge win for us.”

The Trojans go on the road tonight to take on the Red Oak Tigers. Tip-off is at 7:30.