Meet a Sophomore Varsity Swimmer: Cambry Miller

Jena Brosam

As a sophomore, Cambry Miller has a bright future ahead of her as an AHS swim team all-star swimmer.

Miller started swimming when she was six years old. She participated on the YMCA swim team up until she started competing in high school.

Miller’s mom, Jennifer Miller said, “She learned how to swim by taking swim lessons through the YMCA. I remember she was so little, she was afraid to jump off of the blocks at the pool so she had to jump in from the side.”

Competing for the high school team, Miller swims the 200 and 500 freestyle race, and in the 200 and 400 free relay.

Miller said, “My favorite event to swim is the 200 free, it has been my favorite for a long time.”

In that event, Miller’s best time is 1:59, which she set as her personal best last night, Oct. 13, at the swim meet at Southeast Polk.

Her personal best in the 100 free is set at 53.94, and 5:37 in the 500 free.

“I am hoping to make it to state in all four of my events this year. I will be swimming in the medley relay, 200 free, 200 free relay, and 400 free relay,” said C. Miller.

Miller said, “I think she is having her best year ever. She’s working very hard in practice, and constantly setting personal bests. I am looking forward to what she will do at regionals and State. By the end of the season I just hope she is satisfied with what she accomplishes.”

The girls’ swim team practices every morning from 6:00-7:15, and after school from 3:30-5:00.

“My favorite thing about swimming is how close our team is, it’s like a giant family. My coach and teammates are all very supportive, and are so fun to be around. Our coach knows what each and every one of us can do, and he expects us to do it. Nothing less than our best,” said C. Miller.

Another sport Miller is involved in is track in the spring. She is also in the high school concert choir, and show choir.

The next girl’s swim meet is this Saturday, Oct. 15, in Lewis Central.