Health Fair Comes to AHS

Atlantic High School is hosting the first ever health fair on Thursday, Oct. 6, courtesy of the Cass County Health Systems and Women’s Health group.

Two area schools, Griswold and CAM, will be joining AHS students. The Fair will start after second period, during which all students will report to their seminar. Seminars will then break into two sections, one for each gender. At first the fair was just going to be for the girls, but the school wanted to incorporate the boys. It was decided to split the genders up due to it possibly being easier for girls and boys to ask questions concerning their health separate from the opposite gender.

The girls’ group will start with the guest speaker from Creighton University, who’ll speak about what teenagers go through transitioning from high school to college, and speak for about 30 minutes. They will then continue on to booths set up in the gym.

The booths will have information about healthy eating, lifestyle choices, safe sex, dating violence, weight, and “a little bit of everything,” according to CCHS chief operating officer Alison Bruckner. The booths will also have freebies such as additional information, fruit, granola bars, and water.

The boys’ group will start with the booths and continue to the speaker. Many health issues will be addressed: stress, transitions through life, and everything health wise. Bruckner hopes that students are open to listening to the speaker and learn what their healthy options are.