Trojans Fall Short After Emotional Game vs. Glenwood

The+Trojans+lost+last+night+to+Glenwood+61-63.+They+finished+the+season+18-5+

The Trojans lost last night to Glenwood 61-63. They finished the season 18-5

Jena Brosam and Nick Joyce

After carrying a 20-point lead into the locker room at halftime, the Trojans fell by 2 points in the final moments of the District round two game against the Glenwood Rams Thursday night at Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs. Emotions for both teams were heated, and the conflict of the game overflowed onto social media after the 61-63 thriller.

The Trojans and Rams split wins in their season series. Both teams lost only four games during regular season. Fans on both sides expected a close game Thursday night.

The first half saw the Trojans holding the Rams to a mere 12 points. The Trojans, meanwhile, racked up 32, taking a confident 20 point lead into the second half.

But it was a different story for Trojans in the third and fourth quarters, when Glenwood put up 51 to Atlantic’s 29.

In the last few seconds of the game the Trojans were ahead by three, then tied, down by two, down by one, and then finally down by two as the buzzer sounded to end the Trojans winning season.

The fans from both sides packed the gym, and as the pendulum swung, emotions erupted. At the end of the game, the Glenwood fans stormed the court, as the Trojans faced a heartbreaking end to a season of success.

Principal Heather McKay said a parent called this morning and was concerned about the negative comments and replies on Twitter after the game. McKay then left a voicemail with the Glenwood principal to address the issue. “I am so proud of the way (AHS) students handled themselves last night (at the game). Young people are still learning and I was just so proud of how they conducted themselves.”

The Trojans ended this 2015-2016 basketball season with a 18-5 record. Although they suffered a tough loss to a close game, players are staying positive and keeping their heads held high despite negative posts on social media.

At least two Twitter accounts were made last night by Glenwood students in response to Atlantic students making signs of Glenwood’s point guard Nate Mohr with tears over his eyes.

Pictures of our players were also posted on this Twitter account photoshopped of the crying face, made by our students, over them.

The Atlantic coaches and players will use this game to rebuild and get better throughout the off season.

The Rams will continue to the sub-state game, which will be held at the AHS gym on Monday, Feb. 29, and they will play Perry. All Atlantic students are welcome to come support both teams to see who will advance to the state tournament. Tip off is at 7 p.m.