Boys and Girls Cross Country

This year, the boys cross country team has 30 runners.

Jena Brosam

With the 2015 cross country season off to a start, head coach Paul Iekel said, “Our goal for this season is that all runners on our team will continue to improve individually, and then hopefully our team will get better.”

There are 30 boys and 13 girls out for cross country this season. Iekel said, “We hope the boys finish in the top half of the conference. Our 4th-7th runners seem to be looking a lot better, so that should help.” Iekel also said he would like the girls to make it to state as a team this year.

Last Tuesday, August 25, cross country time trials were held. Senior Tiffany Williams ran a 20:56, and is the number 1 runner; sophomore Emily Saeugling is number 2; freshman Karsyn Rush is number 3; freshman Ashley Wendt is number 4; freshman Halsey Bailey is number 5; junior Alexis Brockman is number 6; and freshman Sierra Parker is number 7.

On the boys’ side, senior Ryan Hawkins ran a 18:50, and is the number 1 runner. The rest of the varsity team includes: junior Phoenix Shadden, sophomore Cale Pellett, senior David Thompsen, sophomore Kalob Flory, sophomore Jene Zarbano, and freshman Jalen Petersen.

Last Saturday, August 29, both the girls’ and boys’ team placed third at their first meet of the season in Glenwood.

Individually, for the girls, Williams placed 1st, Saeugling placed 10th, and A. Wendt placed 11th. For the boys, Hawkins placed 5th, Shadden placed 8th, and Pellett placed 16th.

Next Tuesday, September 8, there is a boys and girls cross country meet in Clarinda.