Ethical Standards for Teachers at AHS

Karly Monson and Rachelle Wagoner

by Karly Monson

The principal at ADM high school was put on leave after his Sept. 6 arrest for public intoxication.  According to the Des Moines Register, Lee David Griebel was arrested at the Iowa Hawkeye game with a blood alcohol content of .222.  The ADM school board imposed a punishment of an unpaid two-week suspension, a letter of reprimand, and community service.  In their statement to the press, ADM superintendent Greg Dufoe said, “Being a high school principal is a leadership position that requires a commitment to making quality decisions as a role model.”

Teachers and administrators are expected to present themselves as professionals, both in and outside of the school building. Here at AHS, social media posts from teachers have caused students to wonder about what ethics teachers are held to.

Educators stress to students how digital footprints will impact future employability.  The Iowa Board of Education received about 150 reports against educators in 2013; 12 of these involved questionable social media or electronic communication.

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 8.01.25 AM

According to the Iowa Department of Education, the common guidelines include set privacy settings, keeping posts noncontroversial, and never posting any references to the school or students.

Students feel that social media is an area where teachers need to be careful.   Sophomore Emily Hohenberger thinks that for school related activities “it could be necessary for teachers to use social media, but if they are going to use it for things outside of school, they should not come in contact with students. And same with students to teachers.”

Students also mentioned that educators need to be mindful when giving out cell phone numbers to students.  “I feel that coaches giving out cell phone numbers is acceptable if there are set rules, but for teachers, that is why we have emails.  (Students and teachers) should be checking their emails periodically,” said sophomore Megan Behrens.

Attorney and investigator for the Iowa Board of Education Darcy Lane said “about 12” of last year’s teacher-ethics cases “involved social media or electronic communication in some way, either as a basis for ethics charges or as evidence that was submitted in support of allegations of unethical conduct.”

AHS principal Heather McKay, in response to student concerns about teacher posts and pictures, said she thinks the school needs to do more checking into possible hires’ digital footprints, and that a checklist would be a good tool to have because she would have set guidelines on what to check.

“We don’t have a requirement to check social media, and that’s where we want something that is consistent throughout the district,” said McKay. “I tell kids at freshman orientation and new students about how I don’t put any of my dirty laundry out there, and how they should do the same.  I remember going through this same conversation when I became a principal.”

On social media, AHS teachers don’t have set rules on what they can and cannot post.  McKay does talk with educators about it, and tells them to be smart with posting.  She also advises educators to not friend students because “there’s a fine line of relationships.”

“The difficulty is the way the law is set up, it can’t keep up with technology.  The first year of me being principal we were still trying to figure out what you can and can’t do.  It’s gotten a little better–sadly because of some people’s stupidity.”

Consequences for teachers crossing the line on social media depends on the infraction.  McKay said whenever she has questions on anything on social media or in general, phone calls are made to superintendent Dr. Michael Amstein telling him about the situation and getting his input.  School attorney Brett Ginchy and legal services director Matt Carver may also be called to “try to follow their advice on what to do.”

As far as student concerns with a teachers’ recent questionable social media posts, McKay feels as if “it’s been addressed.”

“Yes I was aware, and it was brought to my attention.  I can’t discuss personnel issues,” she said.